PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Digital SLR

Der_Iron_Chef
09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm looking for a Canon 30D, 40D or a Nikon D200....don't suppose anyone has anything like that they'd like to sell? :)

slakker
09-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm a Nikon guy... been using the D100, D2H, D2Hs and played with the D3. Played with the Canon 5D, 10D and the 1Ds as well. I find the Nikon human interface much better, but no denying Canon has a great sensors.

But given the choices you're looking at, I'd recommend investigating the D700 and the D90 as well...

Jason McK
09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Photokina is at the end of September. It is the Largest photo trade show in the world. This is when all the big players launch there new products. If you can hold off a bit, I know there is a new Cannon product that will replace the D40. Nikon has already launched the D300. but they might launch a replacment for the D40x

J

Der_Iron_Chef
09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm a Nikon guy... been using the D100, D2H, D2Hs and played with the D3. Played with the Canon 5D, 10D and the 1Ds as well. I find the Nikon human interface much better, but no denying Canon has a great sensors.

But given the choices you're looking at, I'd recommend investigating the D700 and the D90 as well...

Well...I'm on a budget, so I can't go "whole-hog" quite yet! I'd love the D300/700 for sure...but at $1700/2500-ish respectively, I can't justify it.

I'm actually most interested in the D200 right now. It seems to be a fair compromise for what I want. I have to say, though, that the Canon USM lenses are MUCH faster, IMO, than what I've experienced so far with Nikon's lenses. Am I crazy?

Jason McK
09-08-2008, 11:47 PM
your going to find very strong opinions on this.
When I was shooting it only took 1 time for my Nikon 801 to fail to focus a very important shot to push me to Canon. Now I have Canon Lenses and I'm not shooting Professionally anymore so I'm not going to switch.
So My reasoning for Canon is not because of better this or that. but pure economics.
I do feel cannon has a lot of very good points to keep me interested.
But I also feel Nikon builds a tougher camera, that feels better in your hand. Plus Nikon has a wide range of products.
I still like the CMOS technology of Canon and the USM of course

J

JPeach
09-09-2008, 12:29 AM
I am a hard core cannon guy, I had a 30D for about 2 years. and loved it. Unfortunately it was stolen about 3 months ago. Our insurance bought us a new 40D and I would recommend not getting a 40D. There seems to be an hard ware issue where the lens and the body meet up which cause an error code 99. We returned the camera on warrenty and now they tell us we won't see the camera back for 2 months......

If you have a choice I would go with a tried and true 30D.

Jim

Gooly001
09-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Hi,

First off, Canon uses a CMOS sensor on most if not all their DSLRs. It's Nikon that uses CCD but they have changed over to CMOS on their new models. Anyways, this is a moot point to the discussion but I needed to clarify this point.

Regarding the never ending debate over "should I go Nikon or Canon", as stated previously, this is a never ending debate and both will make excellent purchases.

I shoot Nikon and prefer the softer colors of the Nikon lenses. Unless you go and buy the L series Canon lenses, I find that the consumer level Canon lenses are very cheaply made. This is not to say that they won't take good pictures; they do feel very light and not very robust.

For Nikon, good quality lenses won't necessarily run you $1500 + dollars. The most highly sought after 18-200 lens is only $900 and it is a very good lens for general purpose. Canon does not have a lens similar to this....yet.

For Macro photography, the Nikon has 105mm VR version as well as the 60mm version. Both are under $1000 and these 2 lenses in my opinion are perfect for taking tank photos.

If you notice on t.v. you will see that most sports photographers shoot with Canon because of the fast focus tracking on the L quality lenses. But for Nikon you will see a lot more fashion photographers using them for the warm color and realistic skin tones.

Both are companies make good cameras and I would go with the D200 for the price that they are at right now. Although heavier then the Canons, the Nikon feels better balanced and comfortable to hold.

Just my humble opinion.

Cheers,
________
easy vape (http://vaporizers.net/easy-vape)

slakker
09-09-2008, 12:47 AM
I can appreciate the limited budget, especially with the aquarium hobby draining the wallet! ahhahaha...

What's working out for me lately is to buying used. There's some good tools out there that'll read the number of shutter actuations as that's the big issue with buying used digital SLRs... the shutters fail due to the high number of actuations so if the previous owner uses the thing like a gattling gun, it'll cost you to repair it. Regardless of Nikon or Canon, I'd look out for that if going used.

But check out this on the Nikon D90... it's cool. :)

D90 Demo (http://www.nikonproducts.co.uk/d90-video.aspx)

Tarolisol
09-09-2008, 02:48 AM
Canon, dont Compromise on a nikon. Nikon is starting to use canon sensors on their SLRS. Just go canon you wont be sorry.

Veng68
09-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Both Canon & Nikon are good but I am going to go with Nikon because I have a lot of lenses already.

Can't go wrong with either. Check out the new Nikon D90 & Canon 50D......... they look sweet.

Cheers,
Vic

Jason McK
09-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Hi,

First off, Canon uses a CMOS sensor on most if not all their DSLRs.

Yup I was writing too fast. I meant to say CMOS in my above post

J

Marlin65
09-09-2008, 04:37 PM
I love my 30D :biggrin:

Jason McK
09-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Canon just released. 15MP D50. Looks like a replacement for the D40
Said to be in stores within 2 weeks.
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/08/canon-makes-eos.html
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17499#ModelFeaturesAct
J

Veng68
09-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Canon just released. 15MP D50. Can't find any information on it but my wife sent me a cellphone pic of the camera. Looks like a replacment for the D40
Said to be in stores within 2 weeks.

J

You can get some info here about the 50D & the D90
http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/

Cheers,
Vic