PDA

View Full Version : Purifying System (BLEACH)

jslaney
09-08-2008, 03:34 AM
So I am starting up a new system and using various equipment from other tanks. As a way to try and kill any algea that has been introduced to the tank via the old equipment I was thinking of putting some bleach in the water. I figure I can just use chlorine remover once I feel the bleach has done its job. Opinions?

Snaz
09-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I think bleach is a bit extreme. Your better off with a healthy dose of elbow grease and salt if you want to scrub your equipment clean. As far as introducing algae, that is unavoidable to the spores in the air to LR, you are going to get algae. Remember algae is probably the most common and basic of living organisms and you cannot have water without it!

The real question is how do you limit algae? A suitable CUC, good water and proper feedings will go a long way to keeping algae in check. There are MANY good threads here and all over the net about algae control.
Snaz.

wickedfrags
09-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Bad idea to use bleach, for many reasons. I would recommend cleaning the equipment without the use of detergents. Consider simply using water and a toothbrush, and soaking items in vinagar if required to remove some tough algae and/or coraline.

Algae is a natural part of your reef. Bleach in no way certifies what you killed and removed everything on the equipment. Good water quality is the key to keeping algae in check. Good luck.

So I am starting up a new system and using various equipment from other tanks. As a way to try and kill any algea that has been introduced to the tank via the old equipment I was thinking of putting some bleach in the water. I figure I can just use chlorine remover once I feel the bleach has done its job. Opinions?

jslaney
09-08-2008, 06:39 PM
I completely agree that algae is a natural part of the system but there are definitely nuisance algae’s that I would like to avoid. I am pretty sure that Bleach is not a detergent but is actually just concentrated Chloramine (the same stuff they put in our drinking water) I figure it would be a good way to nuke the system of any life and then add the life I do want using LR and such. I am sure I will get some bad algae but hopefully I don’t get all of them. Are there any chemists out there that disagree with this statement? Also I am not worried about the stuff on the glass just the stuff that will grow over my corals once I start putting them in.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Jon.

Myka
09-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Ya, if anything use vinegar. :)

Whatigot
09-08-2008, 07:19 PM
yeah, **** and vineagar.

Snaz
09-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Chloramine (the same stuff they put in our drinking water) I figure it would be a good way to nuke the system of any life and then add the life I do want using LR and such. I am sure I will get some bad algae but hopefully I don’t get all of them. Are there any chemists out there that disagree with this statement? Also I am not worried about the stuff on the glass just the stuff that will grow over my corals once I start putting them in.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Jon.

Well if you are intent on nuking the tank I think Chlorine would be the way to go. Vinegar is just an acid and all you will really be doing is dropping the pH to a point that everything dies. Yes bleach is concentrated Chlorine and you would not need too much to nuke all life from the tank.

Once the tank is nuked I would NOT use the "Water Conditioners or Chlorine Removers" treatments to remove the chlorine because it does the exact opposite, it does not remove the chlorine but instead binds the chlorine with other molecules and renders it "harmless", It probably turns the chlorine into salts, I don't know.

Chlorine will dissipate from water naturally given time and exposure to air. Diirect sunlight will speed this up immensley, thats why we have to keep adding Chlorine to our swimming pools.

I can't see anything normally found in a reef tank surviving a bottle of bleach. Just remember to wait a long time before adding any life. Test for chlorine residue obviously. It should be undectable before you add any life.

Snaz.

Pescador
09-08-2008, 08:59 PM
As per Moe's book 1 cup per 20 gals solution of pure unscented bleach is fine to use to kill algae on non porous surfaces. Let soak, rinse thoroughly, air dry and add a chlorine removing water conditioner to the tank and rinse again. If your still not sure you can check for residual chlorine with an OTO swimming pool test kit.

Vinegar is still a lot better at removing mineral deposits.