PDA

View Full Version : Feeding PAcific Blue Tangs (aka Dori :) )

edikpok
09-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Hey guys - I was wondering what you use to feed your blue tangs? what type of greeens do you use? do you add vitamin C to prevent HLLE?

I currently feed mine with brine shrimp, mysis, romaine lettuce, raw shrimp and some dry food (flakes )

Thanks!

PoonTang
09-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Mysis, formula2 flake and pellets, bloodworm, cyclopeze all soaked in selcon. And every 2 days a full sheet of Nori.

Lance
09-08-2008, 03:24 AM
Mysis, formula2 flake and pellets, bloodworm, cyclopeze all soaked in selcon. And every 2 days a full sheet of Nori.

Ditto. Except I use Garlic Extreme as well.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-08-2008, 06:52 AM
I don't bother feeding fresh lettuce because its mostly just water with very little nutritional value.

I fold up a whole nori sheet several times, then sut up the edges so the fish can pull off & eat bite size pieces of nori.

My fish also get some pellets, mysis & blood worms. The Blue will also pick off small pieces of fd krill that I feed to my wife's puffers.

Anthony

mark
09-08-2008, 03:37 PM
flake, pellets, nori and the odd time I throw in some mysis.

Every few feedings I'll soak the flake and pellets in Selcon.

Never seen HLLE.

Marlin65
09-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I have one in a qt tank right now that I am holding for a friend of mine.
Picked this one up with some other stuff was a package deal.:biggrin:
HE/She is about 3" and it won't eat Nori only frozen and flake.
I think it might be because it was never fed Nori before.
Is it just a matter of getting it used to Nori or do some just not eat Nori?
I thought all tangs mainly ate algae.

edikpok
09-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Where do you get your Nori?

I saw that J & L has some brown / green / red seaweed ( http://www.jlaquatics.com/info/288/Ocean+Nutrition+Seaweed+Selects+Algae+Sheets.html) . Is this stuff the same as nori?

About the fresh lettuce - do you feed it to your tangs? Anthony - please look at this: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=61 . It looks like the Romaine lettuce has quite a bit of nutrients actually....

Trigger Man
09-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I use Formula 2 pellets, Mysis, and green seaweed (rarely). I also soak the Mysis in Selcon one to two feedings a week, and use Tropic Marin Immuvit and Lipovit mixed in the food atleast twice a week. I used to have issues with HLLE in tangs that I had for a while, but since adding the Selcon an Tropic Marin products I've been good.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-08-2008, 08:12 PM
My bad. Romaine is better than the other types.

fkshiu
09-08-2008, 08:22 PM
The nori you get at supermarkets (Superstore, T&T, wherever) is the same stuff that's repackaged and sold with a massive markup at LFS. Just look for the plain nori for making sushi as opposed to the stuff with the salt and spices in it.

naesco
09-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Unlike other tangs which eat algae in the wild, the Hippo or Pacific Blue Tang is omnivorous. It eats primarily meaty food.
Accordingly, I feed it pieces of shrimp and it gets its algae from the pieces of nori which I feed the other tangs.
I soak the food in garlic extreme and add selcon from time to time.
These fish are ich magnets so the garlic is a good preventative.
Thanks

RuGlu6
09-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Mine just eats algae from rocks and glass.
This fish is so fat it's belly is like a drum.
Will have to sale her soon and get a smaller one for my 60Gal tank