PDA

View Full Version : Coral Beauty doesn't want to eat anything but algae

DanG
09-08-2008, 01:35 AM
I'm at a loss for what to feed this guy. He's been eating his way through the bit of hair algae I had in my tank, but doesn't seem to want any of what I'm feeding anyone else.

I've tried:
- mysis
- frozen cyclopeeze
- bloodworms
- red nori
- green nori
- ON formula two flakes
- ON prime reef flakes
- ON formula one marine pellets

I've tried all the above both in their natural state as well as soaked in entice and garlic guard, nothing. In the store, I saw him eat the ON prime reef flakes.

For an omnivore, he's a really picky fish.

There's a bit of GHA left in the tank that he's munching, but between him and the blue tang, they're going through it pretty quick.

Anyone got a suggestion on anything else to try?

fishytime
09-08-2008, 02:05 AM
How long has it been in your tank?

DanG
09-08-2008, 02:49 AM
I bought him last Saturday (the 6th).

SATELLITE
09-08-2008, 03:07 AM
i have the same problem with my coral beauty. had mine for 2 months now and will now take any type of food i put in the tank, even with garlic guard.. all he does is eats algea off the glass and and rocks.. he has not touch any of my sps corals or any other corals aswell...

geeluk
09-08-2008, 03:22 AM
My flame angel was like that too, all he did was peck at the live rock for about 3 months. Then slowly started to eat pe mysis after about 3 months. Just started to eat nori after about 8 months.

SATELLITE
09-08-2008, 03:25 AM
I can't complain cause its an angel and they usually peck at corals. hes doing very good so i'll just let him do/ eat what he wants too

DanG
09-08-2008, 03:31 AM
I'm just concerned he's going to starve to death because him and the tang have almost removed all the algae from my tank.

justinl
09-08-2008, 04:40 PM
I would just keep trying what you're already doing. maybe soak in a supplement like selcon once in a while? I would imagine that once the fish gets hungry enough and sees the other fish eating prepared foods, it will join in.

Trigger Man
09-08-2008, 07:58 PM
I found that with my Coral beauty and Flame angel they took a while to start eating the foods that I was putting in the tank. If you have any other fish in the tank eating when you feed this should also help get them to come up. I tend to add Tropic Marin Lipovit to my feedings especially when adding new fish, and they seem to go for it, so you can give it a try.

DanG
09-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I guess he's done with algae and has finally started eating the ON reef flake.

It would have sucked to have lost him because he didn't want to eat.

Here's the fish that was in question.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa320/DAN513513/IMG_1580.jpg

karazy
09-12-2008, 04:28 PM
i would also suggest formula 2 for angels soaked in selcon.

the reason its for angels is cuz its algae and also it has sponges in it

DanG
09-12-2008, 09:15 PM
i would also suggest formula 2 for angels soaked in selcon.

the reason its for angels is cuz its algae and also it has sponges in it

Just the regular ON Formula 2 flakes?

karazy
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
well at the moment i can only find the one for angels in frozen but im pretty sure its made in flake

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~ON6515.html

aquatechy
10-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Coral Beauties with orange bellies have eaten coral before(there is a pigment/chemical that causes some cells in the fish to change color). He probably doesn't like any coral in your tank.

To get him eating, try using liquid additives such as Selcon or garlic additives(there are many out there). Also, try overfeeding your tank, so there is alot of food floating around; it might just spark his interest.

Good luck!!

DanG
10-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Coral Beauties with orange bellies have eaten coral before(there is a pigment/chemical that causes some cells in the fish to change color). He probably doesn't like any coral in your tank.

To get him eating, try using liquid additives such as Selcon or garlic additives(there are many out there). Also, try overfeeding your tank, so there is alot of food floating around; it might just spark his interest.

Good luck!!

He's actually been eating for a while, teaming up with my blue tang to devour the ON flakes that I put in there.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

OCDP
10-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Coral Beauties with orange bellies have eaten coral before(there is a pigment/chemical that causes some cells in the fish to change color).

You learn something new every day. I didn't know that, pretty cool.