PDA

View Full Version : Help With Bubbleking Protein Skimmer

gulflube
09-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I purchased a Bubbleking Mini 180 last week and the retailer is just "too busy" to answer my question. It was shipped with a plastic bolt taped to the top of the collection cup. Where does it go and what does it do? Also I have a JBJ auto top off and when it fills my sump up to the desireable level my skimmer overflows. Any suggestions?

Richard_Dicosimo
09-07-2008, 11:29 PM
without a picture i would have to guess that the plastic bolt is for a drain on your collection cup so that you dont have to take it off the top of the skimmer to clean it. basically you just pipe you skimmate to a container or straight to the drain.

Richard

Richard_Dicosimo
09-07-2008, 11:32 PM
the reason it is over flowing is because your changing the level of water in the skimmer and the sump. for best results you should keep your skimmer in a constant depth of water. if i read what you wrote correctly basically you gotta think of atmospheric pressure it wants to equalize the level of both areas of water so by having your skimmer to deep will cause the water level in the skimmer to rise. dont know if that makes sence to you but i would recomend finding a way to maintain a more constan water level in your sump wether you need to baffel off a section so the height remains constant or dial your auto top off to keep the water more constant hight.

Richard

Johnny Reefer
09-08-2008, 03:56 AM
I purchased a Bubbleking Mini 180 last week and the retailer is just "too busy" to answer my question. It was shipped with a plastic bolt taped to the top of the collection cup. Where does it go and what does it do? ....
Did it not come with clear instructions, complete with diagrams and a parts list? You'd think for the cost of Bubble Kings that they would.

Try raising the skimmer.

albert_dao
09-08-2008, 04:10 AM
Plastic bolt????

Who's your retailer?

albert_dao
09-08-2008, 04:11 AM
Did it not come with clear instructions, complete with diagrams and a parts list? You'd think for the cost of Bubble Kings that they would.

Try raising the skimmer.

Manuals are online. I'll get a link tomorrow. Just sneaking on a friend's comp for a sec...

albert_dao
09-08-2008, 04:14 AM
Better yet, PM me with your number and I'll call you tomorrow and help you with the thing.

gulflube
09-09-2008, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. The bolt is not for the drain for a collection cup. There is a rubber plug where that is, I was told not to use a drain for the skimmate. Apparently it runs better without it. I purchased the skimmer from J&L and it didn't come with any instructions of any kind at all. I moved my hose for the auto top up to a different part of my sump and it helped with the skimmer overflowing so that is fixed. I am working 1200km from home at the moment so I will PM you Albert at the end of Sept. when I'm done my shift. The skimmer is working good right now but it is bothering me about this bolt right now and am curious what it is for and if it will help with the performance. It is odd that you spend that much on a skimmer and it comes with no paperwork???

albert_dao
09-09-2008, 04:19 AM
I'll send you a PDF when you get back. BK's don't ship with manuals, unfortunately. On the bright side, they're super simple, nearing plug & play.

White bolt doesn't do anything. It more than likely is an extra for the bubble plate in case you lose one or something.

PM'd :D