PDA

View Full Version : fixing scratches in glass!!!!

Raf
09-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Um, we had an accident and put some small deep scratches into one of our tanks. Is there anyway to fix these so they are less noticeable. For example, is there an epoxy resin that can be smeared into the scratches to render them less visible....how about a product that buffs the scratch? This tank is glass and the scratches are on the OUTSIDE, not in the water.

Help greatly appreciated!

Raf

Marlin65
09-06-2008, 07:31 AM
You can buff them out with Cerium Oxide and a felt pad, but only if they are not too deep. If you can feel them with your finger nail they are too deep.
3M makes disks like sanding out scratches in plexy, but you have to buy a whole kit. $$$

Raf
09-07-2008, 06:35 PM
thanks, but that won't work for this....too deep. I guess I will go see some glass shops for some ideas.

Delphinus
09-07-2008, 08:57 PM
You see these things on ebay, I've never tried one though, so don't know how good of an idea it is..
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Windshield-Scratch-Repair-Kit-Glass-DIY-Remover_W0QQitemZ260281818382QQihZ016QQcategoryZ11 1110QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sphelps
09-08-2008, 03:25 PM
The only way you'll buff out a scratch in glass is if it's a really minor scratch, almost undetectable. And even then I would think any kind of buffing process will leave it's mark as well. You can repair scratches in acrylic but not glass.

Marlin65
09-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Cerium Oxide will take out scratches as long as you can't feel then with your finger nail.

wickedfrags
09-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Agreed. You gotta live with it or plan on replacing the entire panel. I know people who have had this done, not cheap, but it really depends on how bad the scrathes are and the size of the tank. Might be more cost effective to replace the tank.

The only way you'll buff out a scratch in glass is if it's a really minor scratch, almost undetectable. And even then I would think any kind of buffing process will leave it's mark as well. You can repair scratches in acrylic but not glass.

Delphinus
09-08-2008, 06:01 PM
No no no. Surely it would be easier to build a forge, modify it so that it's stupidly hot, take silica sand, and melt it into liquid glass. Then, you spread it over top of the scratch. Then buff it smooth. Do this while water is still in the tank so that the water can act as a coolant, making sure that the glass doesn't shatter under the heat stress. :)

Has anyone actually tried those car windsheild buff kits? Personally I agree - I don't see how you can do it without the buffing itself creating a bigger problem than what you had before - but like I said you see these things being sold all the time - I almost wonder if it's worth just trying it on a piece of scrap glass just to see how badly it would turn out?

I suppose if a scratch is on a non-viewing panel you can just paint over it. But on a viewing panel I think the options are to live with it (if the tank is running), or replace the panel (if the tank is empty).

Marlin65
09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
I build boat windshields for a living and we buff out small scratches with Cerium Oxide and a felt pad all the time. It does work, but they can't be too deep and you need to keep it clean. The kit shown probably has Cerium Oxide in the bottle.
I have use the 3M product as well and it works on the same principle as buffing Acrylic. Start with coarse sanding and work your way up to Cerium Oxide. Like acrylic it takes time to get a good job.
Raf said his scratch is to deep anyway but as to whether it is possible it is.:wink:

Raf
09-09-2008, 04:26 PM
i am going to try filling the scratches with ultraclear silicone using a razor blade on the flat.....see if that helps....if not, maybe crazy glue or epoxy.....

Delphinus
09-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Got a picture of the scratch?

I've thought about epoxy and cyanoacrylate too but I think the end result likely won't be better because even if, say, ultra clear, it will have different refractive properties so you'll still see some artifacts. Also I sort of worry that cyanoacrylate (super glue/super glue gel) will cause that frosting effect on nearby surfaces? Or is that only if the area is not ventilated?

Good luck, whatever you do!

Delphinus
09-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Ok I got to thinking. What do the windsheild repair outlets use when filling rock chips?

Found a few repair kits for windsheilds on ebay, but are sort of costly.. but .. did find some of the resin they use. Check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160269817151&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr2_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=160253113575&itemcount=2&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D2

For $30ish it might be worth a try????

Raf
09-10-2008, 03:57 AM
Thank You!!!

saltyrockbox
09-19-2008, 09:24 PM
the DIY chip repair kits use a glue that is UV activatied even if you can get it to work with a UV light or direct sunlight there is a skill required...I've done o few
I would fins a chip repair dude and try to pay him off to come to your place and have a go at it if your tank is $$$.