PDA

View Full Version : Battery backup

Marlin65
09-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Does anyone run battery backup and if so what are you running.
I was thinking about getting one of the ones that back up computers.

mseepman
09-05-2008, 08:26 PM
I run the 400W version of the Noma Powerpack from Canadian Tire on my 70G and I'm very happy with it. I just bought an APC UPS from Future Shop yesterday for my nano.

The Noma has run two Koralia's for me for about 6 hours at a stretch without giving any issues. I don't know how long they would continue to run, but I think there were a few hours left still.

Haven't tested the APC but it's the 330W version and I'm hoping it will run my return pump at 45W for a couple hours.

Lance
09-05-2008, 09:51 PM
I also have 2 of the Noma 400W Power packs. One for the powerheads in the tank and one for the heaters, skimmer and pumps in the sump. Last winter the power went out for about 2 hours and there was no problem. If power went out for an extended time and was particularly cold weather I would estimate about 3-4 hours of power. In that event I have access to a gas generator.

mike31154
09-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Don't have one currently but would like to eventually as well. I was fortunate to be home last power outage which lasted 3-4 hours. My truck has two batteries so I pulled one, hooked a 400watt inverter to it and ran some power heads, my air driven skimmer, T5 lights & 250watt heater for the duration no problem. Of course if I wasn't home none of this is any good unless it's automatic.
Until I get this set up, I'm simply using one of those cheapo Penn-Plax Silent Air B11 portable air pumps which runs on two D-cell batteries. It plugs into an electrical receptacle and senses when there's an outage via an internal relay. This will at least provide some oxygenation during an outage when I'm not home. Thinking of getting a second just in case for my 75 gal.
With respect to computer battery backups, most don't deliver sufficient current required to run heaters, lights and pumps for an extended period. Pumps only for a while I guess. In addition, the batteries in computer backups are sealed and non-serviceable. Once they're worn out, that's it. For the price a car battery hooked to an inverter like I used would be more efficient, cost effective and allow more demanding equipment to be run. I'm thinking I could use the sensing circuit and relay inside the Penn-Plax to switch an inverter hooked up to the car battery(ies).

banditpowdercoat
09-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Just get a battery charger that will keep the battery up and allways run some pumps off the inverter. Thats a Bare bones UPS right there in itself

mark
09-06-2008, 01:08 AM
just spec for heater and aeration, having a system to support lights and skimmers and calcium reactors etc is something the fish/corals can live without for a bit.

Nice thing about a UPS is they're automatic if thinking about a longer outage can plug a cheap generator into the UPS for line conditioning if worried about the gensets output.