PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crab are they reef safe.

Marlin65
09-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I acquired one of these and it was sitting on my Rainbow Monti frag last night eating something. Not algae as it is a clean piece. I pulled it out and it is in my QT not sure I want to put it back in my main tank. Anyone looking for one?
What do the eat only algae I might be able to put him in my fuge if he does not eat pods.

ElGuappo
09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
i had one in my reef and when i could actually find it, i never found anything to be troubling to my tank. at no point did i ever think he was harming my corals. i have found the inverts in my tank just like to perch atop my coral.

when veiwed closely my sallylightfoot crab was "picking" at coral (different species iknow, but they exhibited the same behavior on coral) its seemed more like it was cleaning than hurting.

do you feed flake food? it looks white or transparent after a while. Moulting of some sort?

dreef
09-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Nope i've had a couple over the years,never anything but algae,model fish.

rocketlily
09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Mine used to spend the night on my Monti and I would find little "bits" on the Monti. I think he used to chip at some of the outer edges. Other than that he has been very well behaved.

BC564
09-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I have a few in my tank....never had a problem with them.....oh ..except they ate all my darn bubble algae....lol....

MikeP
09-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I have a few in my tank....never had a problem with them.....oh ..except they ate all my darn bubble algae....lol....

I'll second that :biggrin:

Marlin65
09-05-2008, 10:30 PM
No I never feed flake same reason I feed my dog raw.
It was definitely messing with my monti. Does not look like he did any damage just wasn't sure. Maybe I will put him back.:biggrin: