PDA

View Full Version : Sad stuff...

fortheloveofcrabs
09-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone!

So, it’s official, we’re moving. My wife and I are moving to Toronto come February. She’s getting a transfer.

So, I’m getting out… I guess I’m going to have to sell off all my stuff (or at least what I can sell), but it’s going to be really sad, you know? I’ve had my two tanks for years and have grown quite attached to some things…

Anyways, I was wondering, how do you get rid of all this stuff (isn’t that the million dollar question, eh?)

I guess one starts with the fish and corals, then LR, then the equipment, right?

As well, if no one wants some stuff, what can I do with it? I could never flush a living fish, or throw out live rock (that stuff’s not cheap!).

Thanks guys...

-Paul

Myka
09-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation!

Try to sell each tank as a package first. Generally, you get about half what you put into it...money-wise.

If you sell everything separately you end up making a bit more money, but it takes a lot longer to get rid of everything, you have to deal with 500 different people picking different stuff up, and it will take forever to get rid of the last bunch of things that nobody wants. So, it's way easier to just sell the tank packages. You can even "throw in" all the crap you have no use for! Hehe...

ponokareefer
09-05-2008, 03:58 PM
"I guess one starts with the fish and corals, then LR, then the equipment, right?"

This would be your best order, unless you can get someone to take the entire systems off your hands, which would be the easiest by far.

"As well, if no one wants some stuff, what can I do with it? I could never flush a living fish, or throw out live rock (that stuff’s not cheap!)."

You could check with a local LFS to see if they would give you anything for it if no one wants what you have. What are the systems that you are going to be selling?

Treebeard
09-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear you are moving. Especially sorry to hear you are moving to Toronto! Do you think you will cheer for the Toronto NHL team if they ever get one? :biggrin:

Why not sell your livestock and take along your tank and equipment? I know how much work and stress is involved in a move, but you do not need to be in a rush to get the tank going again. Take a few weeks or months to get settled in and slowly start up again!

fortheloveofcrabs
09-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks…

“Especially sorry to hear you are moving to Toronto! Do you think you will cheer for the Toronto NHL team if they ever get one?”

I hear that a lot – but we actually LIKE Toronto (go figure, eh?) – and I grew up in Montreal.

I’m sorry, but your football joke is lost on me… :)

Well, one system is a back-drilled 16gal with a 5.5gal nano, 175MH pendent, ice probe chiller and stand.

The other one is a 55gal (36”) Hagen (with Hagen stand) 2 X 36” PC light strips, Remora Pro (Mag 5).

I’m not taking anything with me to TO because, well, quite frankly, I’m done. Tearing everything down like this is really sad. I’m disassembling all my stuff and saying good bye to my little fishy friends. Maybe I’m over-attached, but my jawfish is part of the family, you know? I just don’t want to do this again.

On top of that, tanks are a pain in you-know-what. Things die, and that’s sad. When you go away, you have to find someone to take care of them. They are expensive. I’ve had tanks for 20+ years – I guess I’ve just had my fill.

Myka
09-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Got pics? :D

PS I'm a chick, but I think NHL is hockey, not football. ;)

fishoholic
09-05-2008, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=fortheloveofcrabs;343762]Thanks…

“Especially sorry to hear you are moving to Toronto! Do you think you will cheer for the Toronto NHL team if they ever get one?”

I’m sorry, but your football joke is lost on me… :)

QUOTE]

NHL= National Hockey League. Toronto's team the Maple Leaf's suck, so therefore are not a real hockey team :wink::lol: Good one! Go Oilers Go!

It's sad to shut down but hopefully things work out for you. If you do part out I would be happy to give your jawfish a good home.

fortheloveofcrabs
09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks guys.

I can give it a go (getting pictures) sometime this week - work has been kicking my butt lately! Ipsofacto, it's Sunday, and I'm working...

Fishoholic, as for the jawfish, you’ll be the first name on my list ;)

-Pauli

fishoholic
09-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys.

I can give it a go (getting pictures) sometime this week - work has been kicking my butt lately! Ipsofacto, it's Sunday, and I'm working...

Fishoholic, as for the jawfish, you’ll be the first name on my list ;)

-Pauli

Cool, thanks :biggrin: