PDA

View Full Version : Foxface Rabbit fish

ElGuappo
09-04-2008, 07:44 PM
just wondering how poisonous the barbs on the dorsal are? is it life threatining if you get stung ? is it commen for them to "become deffensive" when putting hands in the tank?

Treebeard
09-04-2008, 07:54 PM
When I bought mine I was told that it was very painful, but not life threatening. He does not get defensive at all when I put my hands in the tank and he very rarely gets his back up.

Keri
09-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Ditto

Mine avoids my hands in the tank.
I've been told to be more cautious if you have severe reaction to bee or wasp stings, tho I don't know if the venom is the same at all.

mark
09-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Read that hurt like a bee sting.

I'm not worried about sticking my hand in the tank with mine, just mindful that I'm not startling or trapping in a corner. It just moves to the other side of the tank.

justinl
09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Read that hurt like a bee sting.

I'm not worried about sticking my hand in the tank with mine, just mindful that I'm not startling or trapping in a corner. It just moves to the other side of the tank.

and there ya go. basically like a strong bee sting, probably a bit worse. If you are known to be allergenic take extra care. but really, just so long as the fish isn't trapped and feels threatened you should be in no danger at all.

Lance
09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I was quite wary of my foxface when i first got him. Now I realize he is not a problem, when I'm working in the tank. He stays out of the way. I can hand feed him as long as my hand stays out of the water. The second my hand goes into the water he backs off. Like Mark said, just make sure you don't corner him.

untamed
09-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I have to laugh....when I purchased mine (store best left un-mentioned), a young kid was preparing to catch the fish for me...

He had one hand in the tank and he was trying to scoot the fish over into a net. I happen to mention.."You know they are venomous, eh?". Well..obviously he didn't know that and the look on his face at that moment was pretty amusing.

banditpowdercoat
09-04-2008, 10:39 PM
I have to laugh....when I purchased mine (store best left un-mentioned), a young kid was preparing to catch the fish for me...

He had one hand in the tank and he was trying to scoot the fish over into a net. I happen to mention.."You know they are venomous, eh?". Well..obviously he didn't know that and the look on his face at that moment was pretty amusing.

LMAO, its them times you need a camera....Quick.

I too have been wondering how venomous they are. bee sting, thats cool. Not to hijack, but what about a Volitans Lionfish?? Less, Same, Worse?

Patrick1
09-04-2008, 11:03 PM
ask albert dao,
He knows first hand, ha pun

yannicksjh
09-05-2008, 12:56 AM

That's funny, same thing happen to me at a Big Als' store in Toronto. I asked for the magnificent foxface in the tank and he starts with the net and can;t catch him, then starts coaxing him in the net with his bare hands and tell him the same thing you did, the look was aslo priceless. Then turns to me and says you catch him. Anyways, great looking fish and would say he is harmless. i just redid some rock in my tank and didn't think or look for him once since i know he just stay away!

ElGuappo
09-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Well good to know.

feel free to hijack. my question has been answered, and if i had any smarts i would have made this thread about all venomis fish.