PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm killers!

scuglass
09-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Hey guys looking for some advice for flat worms. Ive been siphoning those that I can but they come back quickly. Im looking to do it naturally rather than chemically if I can.

This is what Im thinking about right now.

Yellow wrasse. But are they reefsafe?
Scooter blenny. Do they work? Will it be ok in my 75 with a manderin already in there.
Arrowcrab. Reefsafe? Kill my fish?
Shrimp. Any cleaners or peperment take care of them?

Any other options or opinions are gladly accepted.

Thanks Scott.

fencer
09-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Blue Velvet Nudi's...PM kelly at the Reefe Shoppe

fkshiu
09-04-2008, 05:25 PM
My yellow wrasse has been completely reef safe. You can also try a six-line wrasse.

slakker
09-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Six line worked for me, but he's pretty territorial...

scuglass
09-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Yah i think it was my six line that had been keeping them at bay but he had the bright idea of swimming as fast as possible then jumping... he shot out a good 5 feet and landed in a 5 gallon pail. Swish....

Id rather not get another sixline tho. Keep the suggestions coming. I really want the yellow wrasse to be honest :P

slakker
09-04-2008, 06:02 PM
I also have peppermint that's suppose to work.. can't say I've seen any eat a flatworm though...

Delphinus
09-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I say go for the canary wrasse. Very nice fish in their own right, but mine also took care of my flatworms within a few weeks. At least, I started noticing that I didn't have flatworms anymore a few weeks after getting the wrasse, I assume I had the wrasse to thank for that.

They are jumpers though. :neutral: Make sure you have a cover or something (even then apparently it's no guarantee, mine found a way through eggcrate earlier this summer). :(

truperc
09-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I have had a Leopard wrasse that ate them. Though they are not the easiest fish to add to an aquarium with any boisterous fish.

Keri
09-04-2008, 08:12 PM
+1 on the yellow

justinl
09-04-2008, 08:41 PM
canary wrasse for sure. reef safe and peaceful. but as mentioned, a good jumper, just like any other wrasse, so a canopy or lid is mandatory.

Marlin65
09-05-2008, 04:32 AM
Mine cleans out other things as well pods, my spaghetti worms are gone, and it has taken out all small snails in my tank. So you have to take the good with the bad.:wink: