PDA

View Full Version : Too much Live rock??

Trevor Robertson
04-11-2003, 01:50 AM
I was just looking at my tank thinking that I should get some more live rock for looks reasons. I have read that 1lb to 1gallon is a good idea but is there such a thing as too much live rock, I have read of people have 140lbs in a 90gal and so on...

Just wondering, I just that the other problem is the visa will only let me get so much live rock but that is a different issue

christyf5
04-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Well it depends on what types of fish you have. Some need more open swimming space than others. As well, most people go for asthetics, stop when you're happy with the way it looks.

A good rule of thumb is when you see the fish pressed up against the glass = you probably have too much rock :wink:

Christy :)

StirCrazy
04-11-2003, 02:41 AM
I have read of people have 140lbs in a 90gal and so on...

Hey, quite picking on me :razz: besides it is more like 180lbs in a 94 gal :rolleyes: :redface:

seriously though if you can only aford say one box that is cool, if later you think it isn;t enuf you can "cherry pick" special shapes that you like.

I like both the high density rock tanks and the low density rock tanks.. it is all in how it is aranged.

Steve

StirCrazy
04-11-2003, 03:06 AM
here is a pic of a 90 gal tank with 40 lbs of rock in it..

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174628

so even 1/2 a lb/gal can look good if aranged right.

Steve

pluff
04-11-2003, 03:34 AM
I got close to 200#'s in my 90 gallon looks great,as my tank is a FOWLR.I have a Hippo Tang and a 3 Striped damsel a Blue Chromis a percula Clown 2 Maroon Clowns 1 is 5-6 inches and a Flame Angel.. Everyone gets along very well. :mrgreen:

Jack
04-11-2003, 04:31 AM
I think you can never have to much rock :wink: But 1-2 pounds per gallon is good. It's a great natural biological filter.

On how much rock is too much? It all depends because some rock is more dense than others, which makes it look like less rock than there actually is and vise versa. It's what you like, visually, because as long as there is sensable room for fish and corals the ammount of rock you add is up to you.

Here is 150 ish lbs of Figi rock in my 120 gal. The tank is actually 41" long because one entire side is an overflow which takes up 7" with plumbing behind it.

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4210

Steves tank actually looks good with almost 200lbs of rock, I have seen pictures. Maybe do a search on it.

EmilyB
04-11-2003, 05:10 AM
Rock is filtration. It is all good, if it is porous. :biggrin:

1.5 to 2 lbs doesn't really take up that much space, and I would recommend at least 2lbs per gallon of porous live rock for stocking a tank with lots of bioload.

Fiji is good porous rock.

sumpfinfishe
04-12-2003, 06:04 AM
I second on Deb's advice :mrgreen:

Beverly
04-12-2003, 12:30 PM
I was just looking at my tank thinking that I should get some more live rock for looks reasons. I have read that 1lb to 1gallon is a good idea but is there such a thing as too much live rock, I have read of people have 140lbs in a 90gal and so on...

Trevor, you saw my 42 hex the other night. There was only 34 lbs of LR in it then. Since switching around rock, corals, fish to get our 7 gal ready for some seahorses, the 42 now holds about 38 lbs. It looks a little more crowded now than it did before, IMO, so I'll have to take a few days of looking at it to get used to the new arrangement.

Before buying more rock, how about if you moved your existing rock around a few times to see if you can find a more pleasing arrangement? In our old 180, I seemed to reaarange the rock every couple of months or so (even though there were corals and fish in it), just to see if I could get that "optimal" look as well as provide even more interesting places for the fish to swim through, under and around. BTW, it's much easier to move rock when there aren't corals in the way.