PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia Killers

ElGuappo
09-04-2008, 06:06 AM
Just wondering what everyone uses for killing aiptasia? i have use joes and a tropic marine product and dont really find either one particularlly effective.

marie
09-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Just wondering what everyone uses for killing aiptasia? i have use joes and a tropic marine product and dont really find either one particularlly effective.

What I found most effective for me was peppermint shrimp, as long as I take out the biggest ones with kalk the shrimp clean up the rest for me

fencer
09-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Shrimp are hit and miss. Copperbands are also but they look nice. Berghi nudis do work given enough time

ReefJunkie
09-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Vinegar works great!

Delphinus
09-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Have had zero luck with peppermints and berghia. What I have done in the past that's worked is use kalk - but not the kalk water, the pasty goo that forms at the bottom of my mix by putting in too much kalk powder (to the point that more kalk doesn't dissolve). I use a very stout syringe needle (had to get it at UFA - it's for livestock or something - the hole is easily 1mm diameter - anything smaller just jams) and then inject the paste into the aiptasia.

Haven't tried vinegar, that sounds easier. I'll have to try it.

My CBB eats aiptasia like there's no tomorrow. Unfortunately it's only a solution for a tank that can fit a CBB and you have to luck out with a CBB that will eat aiptasia (and not starve on you because they are fussy eaters). And unfortunately it won't work for a small tank because you need a decent size for them to swim around. And the other downside is that they are not always reef safe. My CBB eats plenty of pricey LPS pieces (blastomussa, acanthastrea, dendrophyllia have all had to be taken out of my tank so far :( ).

If it's a rock you can move, you're welcome to put it in my tank for a couple of days .. I'll guarantee mine'll clean it up within a day or two and then you can have the rock back.

brandy
09-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Have had zero luck with peppermints and berghia.

I agreed 100% :sad:

I bought a bergnia (or whatever you called them) about 2 weeks ago. Last nite, lucky enough I found them hided in the cracks of those rocks, mean they are still alive, but I also can see, the aiptasia in my tank ALL are still "waving hands" like saying to me "you have no luck, :lol: "

I dont know what else should I try.

marie
09-04-2008, 08:42 PM
I use a very stout syringe needle (had to get it at UFA - it's for livestock or something - the hole is easily 1mm diameter - anything smaller just jams) and then inject the paste into the aiptasia.

The syringes (with the plastic yellow tip well) that come in the salifert test kits work great

mark
09-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I'll feed the one I can reach a little kalk paste mixed with mysis juice (they'll stay out and eat it up) and have relied on peppermints to get others.

Have found if you stay one them hard for a bit, they basically die back to nothing. Now my shrimp have disappeared finding I need a few minutes almost touch up every 6 months with the kalk but not a concern. Think the idea is don't let them get out of control or then the battle is on again.

Oscar
09-04-2008, 10:38 PM
So far I have had 100% success with Joe's Juice. Most of the time I just give them a squirt in close proximity without having to inject them. Although I have only had to deal with 10 creatures so far.

There is one large creature lurking in a cave that I cannot get at. I may have to do some aquascaping to get at him.

RSM
09-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Berghia nudibranch worked for me. I had about 30 Aiptasia in my 34G so i added 2 of these hunters. Its been about 2 months and i only see 1 left! Oh ya they might get into the overflow, that reminds me....................................... gotta go!