PDA

View Full Version : FX5 use it on my RSM 34G???

Sydney
09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Just wondering what thoughts are out there for using my FX5 on my RSM? I bought the FX5 last year, and barely used it on my 180g reef. Just really seems to be an overprice powerhead on a large reef. So it has sat unused for some time. I finally got motivated one day to pull it out and thought maybe it would be great on my RSM. The thought is, well I've got it, might as well use it. I could put the intake hose in the chamber before the skimmer and the outflow hose in the chamber after the skimmer.

1) Will it actually do much for my tank, in terms of filtering the water, or will it just use up electricity?

2) Does anyone have any great mods for the FX5?

3) Will it do harm or offer a "refugium" for pods in my tank?

Cheers!
Sydney

Sydney
09-03-2008, 10:42 PM
anybody have any ideas?

Red Coral Aquariums
09-03-2008, 11:35 PM
FX5 900 gph with a 2.5 gallon media area.

It could work if you run the return through the RSM's return locline. It would replace the existing pumps.
I would go with LR rubble with a bag of carbon and a bag of either phosphate sponge or nitrate sponge depending on your needs. Definitely 10 - 15 lbs of LR rubble. You would need to rinse the canister out (it has a purging option) every water change and check your media. No sponges or filters.

Just my thoughts hope it helps.
Kevin

Sydney
09-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks Kevin,

I assume no sponges or filter floss to avoid nitrates and reduce need to open FX5 frequently to clean sponges?

Any ideas on how to connect to RSM loc line? The hose for the FX5 is quite a bit bigger than the openings for the loc line.

Would it be fine to just feed outflow hose from FX5 into chamber just before pump compartment?

Red Coral Aquariums
09-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Try and put a Y on the end and then reduce them down to clamp onto the Loc-line.
Your right NO filter floss or sponges. Its a neat DIY project.

Please keep updating I have an interest as I have a customer that wants to do a similar DIY on their RSM but with a Fluval 405.
Kevin

Sydney
09-28-2008, 01:54 AM
Well, so far so good. All I did was ran the intake and outflow hoses into the chamber after the skimmer, but before the small powerheads. At first I had an issue with microbubbles, but they soon settled down and now all is well. The only catch is the small powerheads have to be running while the FX5 is running, otherwise the water overflows slightly in the back due to the high volume of water the FX5 moves.