PDA

View Full Version : Question about ballasts

psuedo
09-03-2008, 04:08 AM
This is gonna sound stupid, but i'm gonna ask it anyways. I have an electronic ballast that works for T12's and T8's as it says on the spec sheet. Will it work for T5's. I am assuming that the answer is yes because the ballast only supplies the power, but I just wanted to make sure.
Anyone?

midgetwaiter
09-03-2008, 07:32 AM
It's not that simple unfortunately. What kind of ballast is it?

parkinsn
09-03-2008, 02:21 PM
if its a "Fullham work horse" ballast it will do all 3, but that is the only ballast that i have ever seen that will do CFL's, PC's, T12's, T8's and T5's. Most ballasts are specific to 1 type of lamp and voltage, throw a model # and make up on here. Also most T12 ballast's are magnetic depending how old it is

psuedo
09-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I didn't bring them to work, but they are an electronic ballast for sure. On the specs it says that it works for T12's and T8's and CF's but there is no mention of T5's anywhere on the spec sheet. Maybe the ballast was on the shelf for a few years and T5's were too recent for them???

fencer
09-03-2008, 03:36 PM
The T5 will work but you might end up overdriving them and shortening their llife. Electronic ballasts you might get away with.

parkinsn
09-03-2008, 04:26 PM
The T5 will work but you might end up overdriving them and shortening their llife. Electronic ballasts you might get away with.

i would have to say you would be under driving them and they will not fire due to the fact that a standard VHO 4' T5 is 54 watts (which i would think is in your fixture), a standard 4' T8 is 34 watts and a standard T12 is 40 watts , there for your ballast will not supply enough initial in rush to fire the lamp.