PDA

View Full Version : Light acclimation

Aquattro
09-03-2008, 02:17 AM
So I find myself in new territory, I've never upgraded lighting before. Going from 2x150DE to 2x400 SE 14k. What have people typically done for timing on similar upgrades? Using screening isn't an option, I just have the timer to play with. Currently I'm running about 2.5 hours, twice a day. I figure I'd increase by 30 minutes each side until I hit my 8 hour photoperiod.

Thoughts?

Myka
09-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Going from 150w to 400w is a big increase watch your corals VERY carefully. If you notice any bleaching or poor reaction give them a day of actinics only (or darkness if no actinics). What was the Kelvin of the 150w? Did you change reflectors too? What about ballast?

Do you have actinics that will remain on during the entire photoperiod? If not, I'd say turn the MH on at the usual time in the morning increasing the length by 30 minutes every 2-3 days. If yes, then turn the MH on in the middle of the usual photoperiod increasing 30 minutes alternating from adding it to the beginning and adding it to the end every 2-3 days.

Aquattro
09-03-2008, 02:37 AM
Going from 150w to 400w is a big increase watch your corals VERY carefully. If you notice any bleaching or poor reaction give them a day of actinics only (or darkness if no actinics). What was the Kelvin of the 150w? Did you change reflectors too? What about ballast?

Do you have actinics that will remain on during the entire photoperiod? If not, I'd say turn the MH on at the usual time in the morning increasing the length by 30 minutes every 2-3 days. If yes, then turn the MH on in the middle of the usual photoperiod increasing 30 minutes alternating from adding it to the beginning and adding it to the end every 2-3 days.

Ya, the 150s were in a coralife fixture (10k), not great reflectors for SPS. CL tar ballasts. Now, I'm using AquaConnect 400w SE on Lumatek electonic ballasts. Yes, it's a huge jump.
Actinics are on from 8am - 10pm.

I'm thinking you're right with a change every few days instead of every day.

scuglass
09-03-2008, 03:03 AM
If its an option raising the lights a fair amount wont hurt either.

Let us know how it goes i will be upgrading from 2 175 halides to a 6 bulb t5 fixture soon as well so id love to know how it worked out.

Borderjumper
09-03-2008, 03:16 AM
double post

Borderjumper
09-03-2008, 03:21 AM
Im going from a 250 DE to one 400SE with an Aqua connect bulb myself. I raised the new fixture WAY up, and Ive been lowering it an inch a week. I also cut my photo period back and Im increasing that slowly too.

So far everything is doing just fine. I did place some of the more delicate stuff off to the sides until they are more acclimated to the light.

Also watch the heat. I noticed mine went way up, but I have glass tops on my tanks. I stuck a little fan on top that blows under the glass. Its on a timer and comes on for a few minutes every hour.

Take it slow and things should adjust.

Myka
09-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Ya, the 150s were in a coralife fixture (10k), not great reflectors for SPS. CL tar ballasts. Now, I'm using AquaConnect 400w SE on Lumatek electonic ballasts. Yes, it's a huge jump.
Actinics are on from 8am - 10pm.

I'm thinking you're right with a change every few days instead of every day.

Ok, then I think your best bet is what I said here:

then turn the MH on in the middle of the usual photoperiod increasing 30 minutes alternating from adding it to the beginning and adding it to the end every 2-3 days.

It causes a lot of harm if you push it too fast. It's not a bad idea to raise the light as well as other's have suggested. :)

PoonTang
09-03-2008, 03:45 AM
I just recently upgraded from T5 to 2 x250 MH. I started with a 12 hr actinics and 2 hr MH per day and increased the MH 1 hr per week. Also I moved some of the corals like zoos and Frogspawn lower in the tank. No ill effects at all.

Aquattro
09-03-2008, 04:00 AM
Thanks. Height isn't an option, they're fixed in the canopy. I'll slowly raise the period over a couple of weeks.

fkshiu
09-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Get some mesh material used for window screens and place a few of layers on top of the tank. Remove a layer every few days or so until acclimatized.

Myka
09-03-2008, 05:07 PM
He said screening wasn't an option in his first post. :p

fkshiu
09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
whoops!