PDA

View Full Version : Does a FOWLR require a sandbed?

Michael
04-09-2003, 08:30 PM
There was a good discussion on another thread about sandbeds. It was getting very technical, so I thought I would ask this simple question in a new thread :
Does a FOWRL require a sandbed, or will it do just fine without it? Not taking into account the nice look of a sandbed (well..nice if it's not covered in algae :exclaim: ).

Thanks.

Michael

CHEAPREEF
04-09-2003, 09:15 PM
It will do just fine as long as you have another form of biological filtration. Lots of live rock and if it's FOWLR then bioballs in a trickle filter, but if you deside to keep corals in the futur the bioballs will be a mistake. Just my $.02 though. So that's what it might be worth. :mrgreen:

Clinton

Quinn
04-09-2003, 09:45 PM
big thread on RC about this. the general consensus was that while they are a good thing, many predatory fish will discover that the DSB contains a meal and eat all the good bugs. i expect you could possibly end up with a dead sand bed, but it would look good. would want to make sure you've got some LR in there as well.

if you want proof of how much some animals stir up sand beds, take a look in the sump of dez's 180. the trigger (niger i believe) in there has basically turned the 6" (or so) DSB into a mini-mountain range. :razz:

pluff
04-09-2003, 10:11 PM
Well good point.....I have a 90 gallon FOWLR with a DSB and 200#s of LR a skimmer and lots of circulaton...and it works great except for my 6 year old 5 inch maroon clown digging in the bed all the time.Also i have a 75 gallon FOWLR and that tank i'm running a bare bottom with 100#s of LR and a skimmer as well...all is great in that tank also.I guess its just up to the person and there prefernce.