PDA

View Full Version : persistent cloudy eye

christyf5
03-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Hi guys,
I got a new fish about 3 weeks ago. I got it from J&L and they didn't know what it was. We figure it is a threadfin anthias (Pseudanthias huchtii). Sure looks like one anyway, male coloring.
Brought it home and within 2 days it had a cloudy eye. I treated it with SW maracyn for 5 days. No luck. I checked out RC for some tips and it was suggested to use Maracyn 2. I couldn't find any SW maracyn 2 so I got freshwater (Nanaimo has nothing for saltwater and I was getting desperate) and added some zoe vitamins to the water (don't know if that worked but it certainly made me feel better). I treated at double dose for 5 days. At the end of the 5 days things were looking good. Next day cloudy eye was back but on the opposite side. Treated for another 5 days with SW maracyn 2 (I managed to find some at one of the pet stores would you believe). The 5 days ended on Friday and the fish looked great. A bit sluggish as he hasn't eaten this whole time.
Today I come home and it looks like the cloudy eye has started up again. Is this necessarily something that *has* to be treated?? Is there something better on the market or is this fish's days numbered??

On a side note, anyone have any info on these buggers?? I've noticed that he pretty much hides all day and only comes out at night right after the lights go out. At J&L he was under fairly bright lighting and was fine in their tank. Is this normal??

TIA
Christy smile.gif

Troy F
03-04-2002, 11:03 PM
Christy, The Threadfin Anthias, Nemanthias carberryl, will do best if housed in a medium to large-sized aquarium with nonaggressive tankmates and plenty of hiding places. It is best kept in a group consisting of one male and eight or more females. Strong water movement and good water quality are prerequisites for keeping this sensitive species, while live foods (e.g. brine shrimp) may be neccessary to induce feeding. Introducing this fish into a tanik that already contains an established shoal of less aggressive anthias may facilitate its acclimatation. This species can be kept in either a shallow or deep-water reef aquarium. Scott Michael

Also, the way they act in a fish store is often abnormal.

Try posting the question about cloudy eye on either Fishnet or reefcentral. You should recieve some qualified advice.

SuperFudge
03-04-2002, 11:45 PM
Sorry Christy no experience with that,but i heard or read somewhere if your make up/waterchange water is not totally dechlorinated or mixed,that would be a result.
Strictly heresay but makes some sense tho....it burns the hell outa my eyes ;)

Did cloudy eye begin near a waterchange period ?

Marc.

christyf5
03-05-2002, 12:10 AM
Well hmm, no the cloudy eye didn't appear during a water change but I did introduce the fish to my QT tank so who knows maybe that stressed him out. Everything seems to stress this one out. I did do a couple of water changes during the treatment because I was worried about ammonia buildup. But then he already had the cloudy eye. I don't think I'm destined to have this fish.

Seaquest
03-05-2002, 01:55 AM
Hi Christy

If I'm not mistaken, you can use Marycin 2 for fresh water tanks on salt water tanks as long as it is gram negetive. five days is kind of short to expect results for cloudy eye, give it a least three weeks befor you expect possitive results.

SeaQuest

PS: double check on the medication and make sure it's a new dose not something that's been on the shelves for six months. smile.gif

christyf5
03-05-2002, 12:19 PM
yes 5 days did seem rather short. thats what it said on the box and the eye was cleared up both times. Then I found the thread on RC that said treat double dosage. I never found any info to treat longer and people were having success with the double dosage. I wish the damn people that make the medications would just put the proper dosage and treatment time on the box.