PDA

View Full Version : Montipora Nudibranches

marie
08-29-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't have them thank god but I was reading Eric Borneman's forum and came across a test he did by puting nudibranches in a sealed jar filled with tank water. The nudibranches lived for 7 weeks with no host and with less than optimal conditions :surprise:. If that isn't a good arguement for quarantining corals I don't know what is

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic90143-9-1.aspx

christyf5
08-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Oh wow! They're hardy little buggers. They're no match for the power of potassium permanganate though :wink:

Oceanic
08-29-2008, 05:26 PM
I had experience with these little bastards a couple of years ago :bad-word:. My in tank fix was blasting the montis regularily with a powerhead, a yellow Coriss Wrasse, Green Wrasse, and a six line Wrasse.

These Wrasses eliminated all traces of the nudis within about 3 weeks. Anyone having issues with these should look for any wrasses in the Halichoeres species.

:biggrin:

justinl
08-30-2008, 06:54 AM
oceanic, are you sure you weren't treating for flatworms rather than nudibranchs?

deep6er
08-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh wow! They're hardy little buggers. They're no match for the power of potassium permanganate though :wink:

im with you on that, christy

Oceanic
08-30-2008, 04:07 PM
oceanic, are you sure you weren't treating for flatworms rather than nudibranchs?

Yeah I am sure, they certainly were not the red planaria type flat worms. I looked at them very closely and they were white greyish nudibranchs, I only had them on one Monti (montipora confusa) They were killing it from the bottomside up.

The Wrasses did the trick, this was a couple years ago and no sign of them for at least that long ago.

christyf5
08-30-2008, 04:15 PM
My tailspot wrasse ate them too, however it wasn't until I exposed them that he decided they were tasty. I think the scrolling of the M. cap didn't allow him to get his fat head in there. Once I discovered that I indeed had them I wanted to take some photos so I broke a few pieces of cap off and flipped them over (nudis were on the underside) to get a shot of them. As I was focusing the camera the wrasse zoomed over and nipped them off the coral.

the moral of the story: if you're gonna try to get a wrasse to eat them, make sure its a small wrasse :wink:

chevyjaxon
08-30-2008, 11:25 PM
will a large neon wrasse eat these things? i dont have a quarantine tank that i keep things in, besides i have no idea what a nudi even looks like:redface:

rocketlily
08-31-2008, 04:31 AM
Here's 2 very interesting articles on these little beggars. I lost a Montipora a few months ago to them and still haven't put another in my tank yet. Nasty little bugs.

http://www.qualitymarineusa.com/article.asp?page=feature&id=FA22AE9A-A335-4F27-A5C5-0913F83DCB60

http://www.3reef.com/forums/diseases/montipora-eating-nudibranchs-46433.html

Fauna Marin
08-31-2008, 06:06 AM
Hi

We use for such snails following predators with great success
Halichores cosmetes , i think they are more effective then thesixline wrasse.

We have another tipp against flatworms and monti nudibranches.

We have a small tank with Rhynchocinetes durbanensis
Then we add the coral for 30 min in this tank, after a few seconds the shrimps will eat all nudibranches , eggs and flatworms in a few minutes.
After that you can remove the corals back to the tank

Greets claude

Oceanic
08-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Yes, i am glad you agree this species af wrasse works, it sure worked for me. :biggrin:

Hi

We use for such snails following predators with great success
Halichores cosmetes , i think they are more effective then thesixline wrasse.

We have another tipp against flatworms and monti nudibranches.

We have a small tank with Rhynchocinetes durbanensis
Then we add the coral for 30 min in this tank, after a few seconds the shrimps will eat all nudibranches , eggs and flatworms in a few minutes.
After that you can remove the corals back to the tank

Greets claude

Chaloupa
08-31-2008, 11:33 PM
I had Monti Eating Nudi's too....removed EACH AND EVERY monti....added wrasses, cut off any growth that came back for the next while and now have none... frustrating though.....now I have several monti's that are thriving

marie
09-01-2008, 01:47 AM
I had Monti Eating Nudi's too....removed EACH AND EVERY monti....added wrasses, cut off any growth that came back for the next while and now have none... frustrating though.....now I have several monti's that are thriving

Geez Sarah, what pest haven't you had :surprise:

Chaloupa
09-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Geez Sarah, what pest haven't you had :surprise:

Honestly, I don't think there is a pest I haven't had...oh wait...zoa eating Nudis...haven't had those....and NEVER will...with dipping, q-tank in use etc....NEVER! (at least one could hope...but maybe I'll just become the resident pest expert!)