PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER RO/DI thread!

karazy
08-28-2008, 07:51 PM
okay so i have decided to get an RO/DI unit cuz its way cheaper than water jugs in the long run

and im just wondering, how the heck do you plumb one of these into your plumbing/pipes?

i wud preferaly want to put it in the basement, just cuz my mom probably wouldnt want it in the bathroom, unless i cud just let it fill up one bucket of water and then just be conviently under the sink

o, and no there isnt a sink in the basement as it is not developed

banditpowdercoat
08-28-2008, 09:31 PM
real easy, I just did mine yesterday. You basically have 2 splices. One into the cold water line, one into a drain. Nice thing about RO systems. They use small, cheap 1/4" poly tubing. You can pretty much mount your unit where you want, and then just run 2 of the small lines to wherever the closest/easiest water line is. Any plumbing store will be able to help you further on selection of fittings etc to work with your existing plumbing

mark
08-28-2008, 09:41 PM
really so easy to hook up. Dont need to get a Aquasafe (http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUASAFE-MAXIMUS-COMBO-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTER----_W0QQitemZ160276683575QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2008082 7?IMSfp=TL0808271279r30423)but look through their instructions (http://www.aquasafecanada.com/Install%20Instructions.htm)to see what's involved.

As for the bathroom could have the unit mounted under the sink and when it's time to fill a jug, just place the jug in the bathtub or sink (in-case it overflows and drop the output line into the jug. If you have a pressurized reservoir (~4g), then it's just a matter of filling up the jug (handy for evap top ups)

banditpowdercoat
08-28-2008, 09:46 PM
I forgot to add, if your only filling buckets occasionally, You could just get a faucet adaptor, and connect to sink. I ran mine Since Jan that way. Wife would make water, put RO unit on counter, connect to kitchen fauset, and drop waste line down drain, good line in 5g bucket. about 3 hrs and bucket was done.

Now I have 2 100L rubbermaids that I keep full, one FW, one SW mixed for changes.

karazy
08-28-2008, 10:12 PM
ok, i prett ymuch egt it
seems not too ahrd\
thanks guys :D

whats a good brand of RO/DI filter?

banditpowdercoat
08-29-2008, 12:33 AM
I run a Kent sys, only cause I got it cheap off Ebay. From what I gather, they all use generic size canisters, so Aquasafe or pretty much any other brand that fits your budget. One thing, the more chambers, the better. I wouldn't get less than a 4 chamber.

Sediment filter
Carbon filter
RO Membrane
DI canister

karazy
08-29-2008, 12:55 AM
ok, so i ahve decided to go with 2 food grade rubbermaid garbage can things, and i get how to hook it all up

ill just go to ebay and pick out a nice one in my price range:biggrin:

thankyou to everyone:biggrin: