PDA

View Full Version : In-tank ick remedies?

OCDP
08-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah, it's been a rough past week and a half. Corals and inverts are doing very well, but some of the fishies aren't doing as well.

I'll try to sum this up as short as possible. Bought a used 20g that came with a Coral Beauty and 2 tank raised Ocellaris. After 3 weeks, the CB showed a few ick spots. I sold the fish 2 days after, and it was moved into a larger system. I assume the tank size was stressing him out. Then I replaced the tank raised clowns with true percs. I lost one true perc from carpet surfing (covered the tank with eggcrate since) Then two days after, I replaced the carpet surfer , and that true perc settled in well, paired up and ate immediately. I added that perc on Friday... and now today when I wake up, I find the new perc with several ick spots (could be something else, but from the quick glimpse it looked like ick) I don't get it, as my other clown, and purple firefish are fine.. I can't see a single ick spot, nor have I since I have had them.

Seeing as a QT isn't an option for me (I know, tsk tsk, I'm sorry) I was wondering what people here do when they find a minor ick outbreak, any remedies or things you do, BESIDES the QT/treatment options (ie: feed with certain vitamins, garlic?) I know lots of people don't go pulling all their fish out at the sign of a small ick outbreak, so if you don't mind I am simply just curious as to what others do... so far my plan is to do nothing but keep water quality up and daily feedings, while skimming wet and running carbon, keeping things as clean and stress free as possible. I am also only running actinics for the time being, in hopes it reduces stress somewhat.

*edit* I have a product by Aquarium Munster called Protamarin Coral. It's supposed to be an effective, in-tank ick treatment that is extremely gentle to corals and inverts. Anyone tried this? Should I give it a go?

Argentiner
08-28-2008, 03:19 PM
I used a med called sick fish from Golds that is reef safe and doesn't turn the water yellow and it worked for me. I had 2 fish totally covered and they cleared right up. It is a bit expensive though, but was worth it since it worked.

seanoman
08-28-2008, 04:24 PM
I would plan on doing what you are already doing. I have tried the No Sick Fish in the past and it was somewhat effective but I don't really know if it is worth the money you pay for it. Make sure that you are adding garlic and vitamin c to your food and that will help boost there immunity. If it starts to look really bad it might be a good idea to give the fish a fresh water dip. We have found this to be very effective in the past. Make sure that the water you use is at the same temp and alkalinity of your current tank so help reduce stress and make sure that it is very well oxygenated. Leave the fish in the water for 2-5 minutes depending on how well it is adapting to the dip. The fish may panic a little bit at first but it will eventually settle down and lay on its side at the bottom of the water. Good Luck!

JDigital
08-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Wow, your having some bad luck... :sad: You could try dosing with Para-guard. Dose it properly (not like how I did with my Singapore Angel) and you might see good results. Your corals will not like it, but they will be fine in the end.

ElGuappo
08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
my perks had something a while ago and it appears to be back but in different locations.

i used maracyn as i have heard its safe for inverts. i had some clove in with it and it seemed to do ok. hard to tell as the lighting i had on qt was less than sufficent. however all pods and mini bristles did just fine. also am using the same lr in my temp tank now and it hasnt hurt the added mushrooms and torch.

Brent F
08-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Temporarily run a UV sterilizer and add some cleaner shrimp.

I had ick in a tank and this non-chemical approach worked for me. Once the ick was gone I removed the UV sterilizer

Lance
08-28-2008, 09:56 PM
You could also use a Diatom filter on your tank if you have access to one. They are fairly effective in filtering out parasites when they are in the free-swimming stage.

karazy
08-28-2008, 10:17 PM
well ive heard that cleaner shrimp can work a bit at cleaning your fish of parasites, but have no expierience with it myself

OCDP
08-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Wow, lots of replies and PM's.. I can't thank you enough. I greatly appreciate all the feedback. :biggrin:

What adds to my frustration even more now is that I am at home, and the clownfish has not a single speck of ick on it. I know it's the ick going through it's cycles.. but to see the fish in such rough shape 10 hours ago compared to now, you'd never know it was the same fish. Grrr! I am actually pleased to see the clown out and about. They even chose a coral to host today and that is my toadstool leather. And the Toadstool ain't lookin' too happy. But as I said, if the fish ain't happy, the corals are and if the corals ain't happy, the fish are.

Thank you all again, and please, keep the ideas and suggestions/experiences coming, it's all very good stuff to know. I will keep this thread bookmarked for future reference as well.

For tonight, I am about to stuff them with some NLS pellets. I am going to try this Aquarium Munster Protomarin Coral. It has decent reviews and is apparantley very gentle to inverts and corals, and seeing how I already have it I may as well try it. The dosing is only 3 days. I dose for two days straight, then leave the tank for one day, and then dose again on the fourth day. Wish me luck... if this doesn't work I will see what's best to try next. I don't want to do too much as I will just end up making matters worse.

Seems like regular feeds and good water quality should keep the fish in good condition. Just sucks that it will constantly be present in the tank, waiting to attack if the fish becomes weak.

Again, thank you! :)

naesco
08-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Here is what you need to do.
1. Get two cleaner shrimp. Be very careful to acclimate them slowly and add them to your tank with the lights off.
2. Go to the LFS and buy one botter of garlic extreme and one bottle of Selcon and a good quality flake food. Put the flakes in a small container (juice bottle cap) and, shake and add 2 or three drops of selcon than add enough garlic exteme to the flakes (or any dried food) until they are saturated than feed the fish. Feed two or three times a day and feed only the saturated food. You need to continue this for a month or so.
You can also use squished garlic, or unflavoured garlic extract from a health food store but don't buy anything else as the others are diluted with water and less effective.
Because you are feeding more often you have to change the water often.

Brent F
08-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Just sucks that it will constantly be present in the tank, waiting to attack if the fish becomes weak.

That's where the cleaner shrimp many people are recommending come in. If the fish feel the parasite they swim up to a cleaner shrimp which removes the parasites. The shrimp become an in tank "swim in clinic" for the fish to go to when sick. The cleaners eat the ick during one stage of its life cycle keeping it in control.

If there aren't enough parasites for the cleaner shrimp to eat they switch to eating fish food.

OCDP
08-28-2008, 11:23 PM
That's where the cleaner shrimp many people are recommending come in. If the fish feel the parasite they swim up to a cleaner shrimp which removes the parasites. The shrimp become an in tank "swim in clinic" for the fish to go to when sick. The cleaners eat the ick during one stage of its life cycle keeping it in control.

If there aren't enough parasites for the cleaner shrimp to eat they switch to eating fish food.

I understand. I have kept cleaner shrimp before and had ick, and they did not do a thing. I am sure many are hit and miss. Perhaps I will go grab one.. my pop's sure seems to enjoy the shrimp most anyhow. If it works, that would be great.

JDigital
08-28-2008, 11:49 PM
I understand. I have kept cleaner shrimp before and had ick, and they did not do a thing. I am sure many are hit and miss. Perhaps I will go grab one.. my pop's sure seems to enjoy the shrimp most anyhow. If it works, that would be great.

If I wasn't already at the airport I could have loaned you my cleaner wrasse to try out.

Danny
08-29-2008, 01:23 AM
I went through a huge ick problem after I started adding fish to my new tank. I tried a couple of different so-called reef safe remedies and did nothing. The best thing I did was (as above) purchased 2 cleaner shrimp(which are 2 of the most comical creatures in my tank) and a cleaner wrasse. Try to find a cleaner wrass that is eating reg. food. Maybe I got lucky but mine is going strong and no sign of ick since. Good luck, Damn this hobby is addicting!!