PDA

View Full Version : All-In-One tanks

likwid
08-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey guys,

I have had a few smaller tanks in the past, but I am now looking to step up to a large all-in-one tank. Right now I am looking at 2, the Red Sea Max and the Nano Cube HQI. Does anyone have any experience with any of these 2 tanks, or any other all-in-ones? Which do you recommend?

Thanks

Oscar
08-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I started a tank journal on my CadLights 39G. It is sadly out of date which means I need to post some new information soon.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39808

likwid
08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the link! I have looked into the cadlights tanks, but am not really interested. Their looks don't really appeal to me, and I plan on making this tank my living room's show piece.

motokorth
08-26-2008, 09:04 PM
From personal experience there is a good chance you will need a chiller for the JBJ HQI. Besides that I love mine.

likwid
08-26-2008, 09:42 PM
From personal experience there is a good chance you will need a chiller for the JBJ HQI. Besides that I love mine.

Where did you buy yours in Calgary, and how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

motokorth
08-26-2008, 10:14 PM
I got mine used. So not much help for you.

Sean
08-26-2008, 10:44 PM
I got my HQI around 800+ dollars. The tank is very well made and I love it.. if you have any questions about it let me know ill see what I can tell you about it.. It does have a heating problem sits around 78 in my apartment but in the fall and winter things are fine.

The light on the HQI is amazing and is what you are paying for, on second glance I think the HQI light is a little too powerful for me as i'm not experience enough to keep coral that benifits from the light, but hopefully one day I can and thats why i chose it over the red sea max.

The skimmer barely works and the air pump that came with it broke a few weeks in. The tank itself is built strong and the wave maker is handy. the 2 stock pumps i found didn't give me enough circulation so i was constantly sucking up most of the waste untill i put a new pump in.

Minus all the flaws it still is an amazing tank and for a beginner like me i know it made my journey into saltwater that much easier. The glass has a maginifcation that is amazing to look at and the corners are nice and don't block your view too much. The night time lights also make the whole tank viewable.

Also something to think about is the difference in sizes of the red sea max and the HQI. The HQI is very much a tall tank and the Red Sea looks more wide then tall soo this might give you some options on how you want your live rock looking.

mark
08-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Another line of all-in-one tanks is Dutch Aquarium Systems, haven't seen any new ones around for awhile though.

I had a 75g, flat back hex, came with in-tank DAS H99 skimmer, matching stand and canopy. Canopy wasn't high enough for MHs (I used PCs) but sure could have did a nice setup with T5s.

ElGuappo
08-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Got my RSM in calgary for about 800. since they\n tho only real issue i have had is the skimmer crapped out on me. other than that really no complaints.

Oscar
08-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the link! I have looked into the cadlights tanks, but am not really interested. Their looks don't really appeal to me, and I plan on making this tank my living room's show piece.

Now I'm hurt! :sad: Ours is in the kitchen/living room and is also a "show piece".

But the benefit of the AIO, which ever style, is the cleaner presentation expecially for a small space.

brizzo
08-27-2008, 12:24 AM
I enjoy my 24 gallon nanocube. I have a 2006 nanocube dx, glass top with coralife 150w hqi clamp on. The stock pump is garbage, I replaced the stock pump with a Maxijet 1200, and have a Koralia Nano in the main display.

Chaloupa
08-27-2008, 01:16 AM
I have an RSM.....I like it a lot. I have replaced the skimmer, but it wasn't a "must do" to perform..it was a choice. I replaced the skimmer with a Tunze 9002 which really performs well....but I did pull skimmate out with the stock one. My corals are all doing well...and I'm going to attempt some SPS in it with stock lighting. I like the look especially with the stand.

superduperwesman
08-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Now I'm hurt! :sad: Ours is in the kitchen/living room and is also a "show piece".

But the benefit of the AIO, which ever style, is the cleaner presentation expecially for a small space.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... just because it doesn't appeal to him doesn't mean that your tank isn't nice. Like you said you like it and I'm sure other people do too but that doesn't mean everyone is gonna to

ElGuappo
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM

My skimmer worked great its just not working at all now.

Itried acro but it took a monthe for it to slowly die. it was as near to the top as possible.

likwid
08-27-2008, 07:22 PM

What is the water evaporation rate on this tank with the HQI? Do you have to top off daily? How's the skimmer?