PDA

View Full Version : Kole Tang & Lemonpeel Mimic Tang?

noirsphynx
08-26-2008, 08:06 PM
I currently own a Blue Eye Kole Tang but I may also have the opportunity to aquire a Lemonpeel Mimic Tang. What do you think the chances are that they'd get along okay or is it just too risky? I have a 90g. I'm guessing it's probably not wise but just wanted some opinions. Thanks.

dsaundry
08-26-2008, 08:25 PM
The right reply according to the Tang Police would be that a 90g is too small for any tang, however as I have a 72g with a Sailfin I wont throw stones..:lol: The general feeling is that a tank must be a minimum of 6' long for any tang to do ok. Huge tanks 400g+ are the best. If you are really gung-ho about combining tangs, you have to make sure that you have lots of rock as they will probably squabble like heck for the first bit, the loser must have a place to hide....

noirsphynx
08-26-2008, 09:17 PM
That's what I thought. I definitely won't get a second one. I went with the Kole because of it's smaller size which seems to get a maximum of 7 inches and from what I've read a 4ft long tank is their minimum, which is what I have. I also have lots of live rock.

fishoholic
08-27-2008, 04:09 AM
I would say a 90g is a minimum size tank for tangs. I also think a kole and a lemonpeel tang would be fine together in a 90g, as long as there isn't already a whole lot of other fish in the tank. I had four tangs (salfin, lavender, yellow and a regal) in my old 120g tank and they all were fine together.

naesco
08-27-2008, 05:12 AM
I currently own a Blue Eye Kole Tang but I may also have the opportunity to aquire a Lemonpeel Mimic Tang. What do you think the chances are that they'd get along okay or is it just too risky? I have a 90g. I'm guessing it's probably not wise but just wanted some opinions. Thanks.

First of all thanks for asking before you buy.
IMO your guess is right for a few reasons.
You already have a tang in a 90 gallon. Adding another one to a small tang may lead to aggression by one against the other, likely the new one.
Unlike the kole, acanthrus species require the longer (6 feet) tanks that tang need. They are swimmers.
It is never a good idea to add similar shaped species in a smaller tank.
Unlike the kole that acanthrus grow to 24 cm.
Thank you