PDA

View Full Version : PC Lighting - Lifespan?

Levek
08-25-2008, 04:20 PM
hey all,

(first post here)

I am a new salt-water-er, reef-er, etc...:smile:
I have a 10g nano tank doing quite well so far. It is about 6 months old now. I am wondering, in general, what sort of life span I should be expecting from my light fixture? I have a Coralife 20" AquaLight Fixture - 96W - PC. How often to people usually change their bulbs?

Thanks for the advise.

Levek

Jason McK
08-25-2008, 04:24 PM
I would change the bulbs every 6 to 7 months. I just changed the ones in my wifes 14G tanks after 8 months and WOW what an improvment. No wonder she was having an algae problem

J

OCDP
08-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Seems PC's need frequent changing. The intensity and colour just goes downhill so quickly I find in these Coralife fixtures. I vote for every 5-6 months. You'll notice a significant difference IMO.

I cannot wait to get a halide pendant over my tank. PC's drive me mad.

Myka
08-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Ya PCs are frequent...about 6 months. :)

Got pics of your new tank? We'd all love to see it! :D

Levek
08-25-2008, 05:10 PM
right on, thanks for the help. We seem to have reached a good average replacement time of 6 months. Looks like I'll be changing out my bulb very soon then. I'll get some pictures up with the new light. They won't be too exciting as it is still a new tank but what the heck.

thanks again!:smile:

OCDP
08-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Sorry to hijack, but while we're on the subject of PC bulbs, can anyone recommend a good brand/kelvin of replacement bulbs? Or should they strictly be Coralife bulbs?? Seems like there's lots to choose from, but am unsure if I can use others while using a Coralife fixture.

Cheers

marie
08-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Sorry to hijack, but while we're on the subject of PC bulbs, can anyone recommend a good brand/kelvin of replacement bulbs? Or should they strictly be Coralife bulbs?? Seems like there's lots to choose from, but am unsure if I can use others while using a Coralife fixture.

Cheers

They don't have to be coralife bulbs but you have to make sure you have the right pin configuration. Some are square and some are straight.

As far as brand/colour...I have no idea, I hate them all equally :lol:

Levek
08-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Marie, are PC's really that bad? (really; honest question 'cause I don't know). When doing my initial equipment shopping before starting my tank, I saw the prices for MH lights and nearly fell out of my computer chair. What makes the MH bulbs so much more expensive (like 5x more expensive)? Is MH something that I should be saving my pennies for one day?

*sorry for the dumb questions* :smile:

marie
08-25-2008, 08:19 PM
You can get much better colour and your corals look better with vhos or t-5s.
Metal halides are more intense (brighter) over a smaller area for the same wattage plus they give you a cool shimmer effect :mrgreen: (heat would be an issue in a 10g tank though)

For a 10g nano I would look at t-5's for light if it were me

Myka
08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
I was looking for T5s for my 10g planted tank. I gave up because there is very little out there for 18-20" T5. Current USA puts out a fixture that didn't suit my needs, but would be great over a SW tank! :)

However, you just bought your CF, and if you're happy with them, your corals are doing well, then there's no reason to change...imo.