PDA

View Full Version : greyhound sucks

tgoeujon
08-24-2008, 02:15 AM
how long can fish from jl aquatics be in transit and live. they were shipped greyhound yesterday afternoon and greyhound has no idea where they went. supposedly they might be here tomorrow morning. if so what are the chances for them getting here alive? :sad:

tlo
08-24-2008, 02:23 AM
jl does a pretty good job packaging. Depending on what you have coming, I wouldn't lose all hope yet, just hope they come tomorrow....
I don't think jl has alive arrive guarantee when shipping by bus, so you would have to take it up with greyhound.

Aquattro
08-24-2008, 02:37 AM
I've had fish get delayed by a day, they were ok. This time of year you might be fine.

tgoeujon
08-24-2008, 02:43 AM
i dont want to argue with greyhound i just hate losing fish. no jl doesnt have any guarantees with bus freight. i just hope they make it.

fencer
08-24-2008, 03:06 AM
1. You have to live near a major centre for pick up
2. You have to make sure it gets on next bus
2a. Never rely on them to phone you. get the waybill number and ask when it is in.
3. Sometimes they are a little slow at unpacking the pup trailers.(this is actually the problem) If you specify it is live they may put it in front. Assuming it doesn't smell.

karazy
08-24-2008, 04:35 AM
dont lose hope yet, the chances are still 50-50

Myka
08-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Personally, depending what you ordered...fish seem to be ok in this type of weather for about 36-48 hours. Corals seem to be good for about 72-96 (depending on type). Corals are waaaay hardier than fish.

spreerider
08-24-2008, 08:09 AM
my CUC was fine and it took 2 days by greyhound

tgoeujon
08-24-2008, 05:57 PM
still nothin and now greyhound tells me there shipping office is closed till monday so noone to track it for me till then. i think ill just make the 3 hour drive to jl next time.

Myka
08-24-2008, 05:59 PM
When I get live orders I always get them sent on Mondays for that very reason. Whether it's plants via Express Post or fish via Greyhound.

What is in your order anyway?

banditpowdercoat
08-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Ya, I have had a OA shipment go to Quesnell once. Was mid winter. They were DARN cold when they got here. But, they acctually survived. This time of year, You might be ok. Although, 3-4 days in the bags??? I have had go arounds with GH here too. One time, I knew a shipment came in at 630AM from Kelowna, I was heading in to pick them up(snails) and GH called me, seems there was a Powdercoating package there too. Told them they have something else for me from Kelowna too. Told me, "No, theres nothing here" I said "Ya, that box behind you that says LIVE FISH PERISHABLE EXTREMEME RUSH" "Ohh, that box."

Just no clue on what RUSH means.....

tgoeujon
08-24-2008, 06:05 PM
i usually do the week days too but my hours have changed at work so the only day i can pick up is weekends. i had a cuc, a couple different gobies, bangaii cardinal, pom pom crabs as well as a bunch of dry goods. i just hate losing things.

Myka
08-24-2008, 06:22 PM
You can probably write off the Bangaii (they ship like crap to begin with). The rest of the fish might will make it provided they are kept in a decent temperature area over the weekend...but I doubt it. The crabs might be ok...

banditpowdercoat
08-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Ya Cuc will survice. Mine was just about frozen, when I got my order. I lost a Bangaii outa that order though as well. I had to go down and pick my present one up.

tgoeujon
08-24-2008, 06:30 PM
im sure im gonna lose at least part of the order but it would be nice to know where it is.

marie
08-24-2008, 06:37 PM
I've never had a problem with bus depot here. The lady that works there once phoned me on a sunday morn to tell me my shipment came in and she would wait there until I came and got it. Gotta love small towns :lol:

tgoeujon
08-24-2008, 06:40 PM
theres only 700 people in this small town but the package hasnt come. lol

truperc
08-25-2008, 04:48 AM
My last two orders through greyhound were both lost. Thankfully they arrived on the second day and most of the items survived. One item went through town and the other was put in a cargo crate even though it had a rush live goods on it. I do not think I will trust Greyhound again with live goods.

Bugsy
08-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your lost order. One reason JL hates to deal with Greyhound. They really encourage the air method for all live goods but I know that is very expensive too.

A friend of mine is putting in a dry order soon so I will tag on a few things with that. He once did the live order through them on the bus and never again. Everything was dead, no fault of JL as they did an awesome job of packing everything but the bus man handles the live goods and it really is a risk with them.

I plan on stopping there for my first time when we are coming home from holidays and if I see anything I will pick it up then.

I sure hope that you don't loose everything, keep us posted and take your time acclimatizing them when you do get them

Good luck.....Amy

symplistik
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
being the guy who packs these orders up and delivers them either to the airport or to greyhound for J&L, i get to see first hand. i would have to say if you are gonna spend the money for a live order to be shipped. its worth it to pay the little bit extra for air shipment if you can. I am sorry for your loss.

banditpowdercoat
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Unfortunately, Air wont work for small cities/Towns like were in. Tgouejon and I are in the same area/situation, and still over an hr drive to the closest shipping airport... for me, 45min longer for him :(

but dude, if you do go down let me know. may be interested in some more frags or something. looking for somehting for my Clowns to hopefully host in. But not a BTA

tgoeujon
08-25-2008, 07:40 PM
monday at 12:45 and greyhound still doesnt know where they are. gettin more than a little ****ed now. like bandit said air is just too much of a drive to be useful its either williams lake or kamloops. but im starting to wonder if anybody successfully uses loomis, purolator or DHL and if so are the cost relativaly fair.

banditpowdercoat
08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
I know Fedex DHL UPS is delivered once a week here in 100 Mile, so thats outa the Question. Purolator not sure

Zoaelite
08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately I believe by now you might have bags of fish soup :(... Well fish gruel would be more accurate. Do these things get labeled as live product? If so I believe that the shipping company should step up there policy a bit as that's a little ridiculous!

Levi

superduperwesman
08-25-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm sure with labor shortages GH is just looking for bodies... You could probably write whatever you want on the box and the employees wouldn't care.

Same with air shipment. I know people who have lost fish orders and more and more luggage seems to go missing. No one cares. I've seen planes being unloaded at the airport and they literally were tossing all the cardboard boxes onto the cart. Some would miss... some would roll of the other side.

banditpowdercoat
08-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Ya Greyhound is really lacking these days. Last Wed, I sent two light fixtures that I made and Powdercoated for Wendell @ OA. He still hasnt recieved them either. Im gona have to call GH tomorrow, raise a stink too. They werent live goods, but they were pretty large and not easy to loose

EmilyB
08-25-2008, 11:05 PM
What a journey those fish have made from the ocean, and then to die like that. :cry:

tgoeujon
08-26-2008, 02:03 AM
they arrived at 3:00 and unbelievably everything is alive (even the bangaii).
im in shock.

levi1803
08-26-2008, 02:08 AM
wow that's awesome, let us know how everything turns out. Hope all goes well.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-26-2008, 02:33 AM
I guess this is a good testament to the packing job done by J&L:biggrin:

EmilyB
08-26-2008, 05:39 AM
http://www.mysmilie.de/smilies/froehlich/8.gif (http://www.mysmilie.de/)

Yah, you can credit good packing for that one !

Myka
08-26-2008, 05:42 AM
they arrived at 3:00 and unbelievably everything is alive (even the bangaii).
im in shock.

Woohoo!!! I can't believe the Bangaii made it. Good job packing J&L! Let us know how they acclimate. :)

Chaloupa
08-26-2008, 06:55 AM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice job J&L!!!!! I'm so glad you got your things...I have been following along and am relieved!

Renee
08-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Glad everything made it!
oh yeah, the bangaii you got was tank raised, maybe that helped a bit? I'm suprised it made it though...

superduperwesman
08-26-2008, 01:32 PM
I thought when fish were shipped from other countries they were in bags for days?

Canadian
08-26-2008, 02:22 PM
I thought when fish were shipped from other countries they were in bags for days?

They are. When I was going through university I occasionally worked at some LFSs and frequently saw delayed fish orders shipped during the winter end up with very few casualties. Sometimes I see threads like this where people suggest that a fish can't live for more than a day or two in transit and chuckle a bit - if only they knew how long some of these fish are actually in transit before they get to the LFS.

Snaz
08-26-2008, 02:41 PM
If only they knew how long some of these fish are actually in transit before they get to the LFS.

+1 I concur. I worked for an LFS in highschool and our fish orders could take a couple of weeks to arrive. Occasionally a deflated bag would result in stinky soup but not too often. Once we had a HUGE shipment of saltwater that we had been drooling over, it got held in customs and it was HOT summer. Nothing lived, a big stinky mess. Even the LR was dead, probably cooking on a tarmac somewhere.

I'm glad this story had a happy ending. Good packing job J&L.

Keith

tgoeujon
08-26-2008, 02:46 PM
next day and everythings still kickin. im still shocked though.

banditpowdercoat
08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Gona have to come have a gander at your tank one day :D

workn2hard2day
08-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Gald everything is still swimming! kinda off topic now, but maybe it will help for next time. The bus depot has a service they provide for $15.00 extra, it is "next-bus" boarding, your parcel will not be "bumped" if the freight hold is full. They will bump some else :biggrin: good for you bad for them LOL

banditpowdercoat
08-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Gald everything is still swimming! kinda off topic now, but maybe it will help for next time. The bus depot has a service they provide for $15.00 extra, it is "next-bus" boarding, your parcel will not be "bumped" if the freight hold is full. They will bump some else :biggrin: good for you bad for them LOL

Hmm interesting