PDA

View Full Version : How to move a Clam? for future references.

Douglas
08-23-2008, 04:35 PM
I tried to move my clam yesterday, due to an anenome moving to close. I have no sand, so it was just attached to the glass on the bottom. It spun around once, and unattached, but the next day it had died. I don't think that was a proper way to move it. I'm looking for advice, for future references, to move a clam, with out killing it. Thanks, Doug

EmilyB
08-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Sliding a razor blade under to cut the byssal thread.

fkshiu
08-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Better yet, have it attach itself to a small piece of live rock so you don't have to do any cutting at all.

If you do have to cut with a razor blade, cut as far away from the byssal gland as possible.

midgetwaiter
08-24-2008, 12:37 AM
You can use a piece of ceramic tile as well, much easier than trying to find a flat enough chuck of rock.

whatcaneyedo
08-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Make it unhappy in the spot that it has attached to and they will often let go. I'm trying to get a crocea off of a rock that I want to remove so I've shifted the rock so that the clam is hanging over the edge (short drop). I dont expect it to take longer than a day or two for the clam to get tired of fighting gravity and let go. When it does I'll be there to turn it upright again (unemployed with nothing better to do).

I'm not really recommending this I'm just saying it tends to work. The best thing to do is have them attach to a small piece of rock or shell so that you can move the pair anywhere you want.

Slick Fork
08-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I've had luck with "wiggling" mine, just a light wiggle for a minute or two and it let go. However that was when he was just new into the tank and had only been attached for a day or two. I don't know if their grip gets better with time or not.

Tom R
08-25-2008, 09:54 PM
I always let my clams attach themselves to an old oyster shell. This allows you to move it whenever you want. Always watch the clams reaction after a move as they will react to changes in the amount of light and flow.

Tom R