PDA

View Full Version : Complicated tank move. Need some Help

rdnicolas
08-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Hi everyone, I purchased a tank from a very nice reefer (Prokolec) who is located in Calgary and I need some advice/help on how to safely extract his tank and move it to my house in Edmonton.

I've been discussing the move with a local company called Wingenback who have moved tanks in the past and they have given me a quote of nearly 3000$.

The tank was purchased from Arek (Pokolec) several months ago with the agreement that I would take it when my basement development was at a point where it would be ready for it. And I wish to extract the tank from his home within the next 2-3 weeks.

The obvious dilemma is that the move cost is more costly than anticipated so I was wondering if any reefers had experience moving such a large tank and were willing to help me. I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for your time and efforts.

I figure that the move would require at least 9 people (6 movers+3 backup spotters) x 2 as the tank is very large and heavy 7'x2'x40" & 900lbs.

Alternately, I'm considering ripping the tank and moving it out in pieces. Has anyone done something like this and how successful did it work when it was put back together?

The plan is to have a crew from Calgary help extract the tank and move it into a cube van that I will be renting. I'd drive the tank up to Edmonton to another group who will help move the tank down my basement.

What I will need is someone with a truck c/w a long winch with at least 100-150' of length that is rated for the tank weight and then some (say around 3000lbs-5000lbs).

at least 6 or so suction cups which I may be able to rent out

Big strong reefers or freinds of reefers who can lift 150lbs

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and thanks in advance!

Reggie

mark
08-21-2008, 05:11 AM
no experience with that big but if thinking of getting the professionals, read the fine print as they can break your tank and still walk (see here (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27299)). Should be able to help with the heavy lifting on the Edm end if going with amateurs.

rdnicolas
08-21-2008, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up Mark I never even thought about that... I'm wondering if taking the tank apart is the best and safest way to go for a tank this big.....

hillbillyreefer
08-21-2008, 05:45 AM
There was a thread on Alberta Aquatica about taking a large tank down. I'll see if I can find the link. It went fairly well until they did something by mistake and cracked a panel. They used light fish line to cut the silicone, after they pried off the mouldings. If I recall correctly.

rdnicolas
08-21-2008, 05:50 AM
Thanks hillbillyreefer! I'll try searching for it as well.

Reggie

hillbillyreefer
08-21-2008, 06:16 AM
Sorry can't find it. Need to go to bed now, I'll look tomorrow.

Red Coral Aquariums
08-21-2008, 06:30 AM
I took the back piece of glass off a 330 g 84x30x30 with double euro bracing and it took me 40 hours. It would get quicker after the first pane was removed.

I can round up some help and that you can hire (as I won't touch the liability on this one sorry) probably half your man power if you want it and throw in my old muscles on the Calgary side.
Kevin

rdnicolas
08-21-2008, 06:39 AM
omg 40 hrs for one pane? how long total time to completely take apart?

Red Coral Aquariums
08-21-2008, 06:57 AM
??? only replaced the back piece.
Kevin

lastlight
08-21-2008, 02:39 PM
I cut apart my 7x3x2.5 400 gallon with the help of the buyer and it took us maybe 3 hours it I remember right. We used only razor blades and it was really tough work. The eurobracing really slowed us down.

rdnicolas
08-21-2008, 10:38 PM
I cut apart my 7x3x2.5 400 gallon with the help of the buyer and it took us maybe 3 hours it I remember right. We used only razor blades and it was really tough work. The eurobracing really slowed us down.

Thanks for the comment... Can you please tell me how the rebuild of the tank went? Any major issues?

rdnicolas
08-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Ohh i see:redface: thx

??? only replaced the back piece.
Kevin

chevyjaxon
08-22-2008, 01:57 AM
just moved my 90 3 weeks ago when we got our new house the only advice i can give is to buy lots of coolers and water jugs for camping, use the coolers for the liverock and livestock and the water jugs to haul the water use a bucket or 2 to haul the live sand i moved mine succesfully with no losses i had it set up and running the same night with everything put back inside and that is after the coolers sat 8 hours oh yeah and one more thing, you may want to put the tank on wheels like a couple of mechanics creepers or something like that rather than risking tearing a seam with a winch and rent a truck with a power tailgate to lift the tank up to the deck of the truck its worth the extra money to save you from wrecking your back or your new tank, and dont forget to open the coolers every couple hours to release the nitrogen and replenish the oxygen good luck hope this helps :wink:

Lance
08-22-2008, 04:00 AM
I just brought a 225 gal home from Vancouver. It went pretty good with 4 people (one on each corner). Your tank is considerably heavier at 350 gal., so I would think 6 guys at least. (If you decide to move it in one piece). Have some sturdy sawhorses set up for rest breaks.

rdnicolas
08-22-2008, 05:23 AM
just moved my 90 3 weeks ago when we got our new house the only advice i can give is to buy lots of coolers and water jugs for camping, use the coolers for the liverock and livestock and the water jugs to haul the water use a bucket or 2 to haul the live sand i moved mine succesfully with no losses i had it set up and running the same night with everything put back inside and that is after the coolers sat 8 hours oh yeah and one more thing, you may want to put the tank on wheels like a couple of mechanics creepers or something like that rather than risking tearing a seam with a winch and rent a truck with a power tailgate to lift the tank up to the deck of the truck its worth the extra money to save you from wrecking your back or your new tank, and dont forget to open the coolers every couple hours to release the nitrogen and replenish the oxygen good luck hope this helps :wink:

Thanks Chev. is there a place you`re aware of that rents them.

fishoholic
08-24-2008, 05:07 AM
Our 230g move

1. 7 guys

2. Flatbed truck (definitely saved the day)

3. Lots of beer and pizza for everyone after :biggrin:

chevyjaxon
08-24-2008, 05:41 AM
i think ryder or penske might have what you need btw when you do get it up on the deck get it as close to the front of the box as you can its less likely to jump in the air when you hit a bump

Richard_Dicosimo
09-09-2008, 09:34 PM
i cut apart my 200 to get it into my basement it only took me 3 hours and it was euro braced too. after i got it apart of course i talked to a tank builder who told me the easiest way to cut them apart is to cut a peice of wood a 1/16" or 1/8" wider then the inside of the tank and wedge it between the panes just enough to put pressure on the silicone seams after that your razor blades will cut through the silicone way easier. and i used the little gillete razor blades from home depot not the olfa blades the gillete ones are thinner and dont break. i would cut the tank apart then you dont have to slide it and worry about scratching the bottom and putting weak spots in the glass. and putting it back together you know you have fresh new silicone seams not ones that have had a scraper blade scraping the surface between the silicone and glass to get rid of coraline, and its easier to move in and out of both houses. the only downside is a tank that large you should give the silicone a week to cure completely.

Richard

Richard_Dicosimo
09-09-2008, 09:35 PM
if you decide to cut it apart and are having a hard time with the silicone DO NOT try to use a heat gun to make the silicone more malable thats how i ended up replacing one of my panels.

Richard

rdnicolas
09-10-2008, 03:02 AM
Well thanks to the everyones comment.

Just figured I'd update and say that the tank has now been moved with the help of the previous owner Arek. Total tank move cost cost me just 1300$, which although seems high still ended up being a value

The quote I got from the moving company turned out to be just for the edmonton portion of the move too which was incredibly high!

Reggie

mark
09-10-2008, 03:38 AM
one piece or did you cut it up?

rdnicolas
09-13-2008, 07:31 PM
one piece or did you cut it up?

Nope, made it in one piece.

my2rotties
09-22-2008, 07:00 AM
I was in the same predicament when I bought a tank that is the same size as yours'. It was in the basement, and the staircase was too narrow to move it out. When it was delivered to the seller's house, the builder accidentally dropped it, and it slide down the stairs. Luckily there was no damage.

My husband and I ended up have to cut apart, and remove it panel by panel. It tooks two nights to do this, and I suggest a rubber mallet and putting knife. We have just started to assemble it now, and so far, so good. It is nice to have the front glass removed the handbuild the background and stack the base rock with ease.

I could no find a mover or the manpower to help. Taking it apart was the option we had, but it made it much easier and only two of us were needed to get it home. I hope thism helps.