PDA

View Full Version : Really important

Aquattro
04-05-2003, 11:59 PM
All I'm gonna say is hose clamps are really really really important. Trust me!! :eek:

zulu_principle
04-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Come on, tell us the story..............

Aquattro
04-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Nope, but I will say that shop vacs are just as important as hose clamps!!

zulu_principle
04-06-2003, 12:17 AM
OK

So this is the story so far:

So Brad doesnt clamp anything, he likes the free flow and the savings of 10 times $0.95 1" hose clamp.

He sees one leaking, but he's seen this before............

Come on Brad fill in the blanks.

Aquattro
04-06-2003, 12:30 AM
Not even close. I had the hose clamp, just forgot to put it on. Moving things around today to add a MH to the sump, and the hose from the MAG 12 to the skimmer gets jiggled a bit too much. Phone rings, I have to pick up the kids. Other side of town when the phone rings, wife screaming something about leaks and fountains. I tell her how to shut off the breaker to the tank and the phone goes dead. Race home at Mach 3, discover I have a new indoor pond. Oh ya, I need to put a hose clamp on there!! Duh!!
(this is where the shop vac comes in handy). Lost about 5 g of seawater, recovered about 2. Still looking for the rest!! Luckily the pump points up and most of the water kept falling back into the sump.
No attempt to save money or follow an alternate philosophy here, just plain stupidity!!

EmilyB
04-06-2003, 01:34 AM
Guess you already know I can visualize all of this..... :mrgreen:

Aquattro
04-06-2003, 01:54 AM
Guess you already know I can visualize all of this..... :mrgreen:

Oh yea!!

BCOrchidGuy
04-06-2003, 03:27 AM
arg, ... recovered two?.... with our with out the carpet fuzz?

Aquattro
04-06-2003, 03:59 AM
hardwood floors, no carpet. Musta gone downstairs!! :eek:

BCOrchidGuy
04-06-2003, 04:16 AM
I don't envy you.

I figure thats when I will have my first major problem, when my wife and I buy a home and we wont be tenants, then... Then.. disaster will strike...

zulu_principle
04-06-2003, 04:50 AM
:rofl:

BCOrchidGuy
04-06-2003, 05:07 AM
Yeah laugh it up, I think I may just move in next door to you so I can borrow a shop vac and some towels when the disaster does strike... lol

I know I have been sooooo lucky... Once when I had a 33 gallon aquarium going we had a party... as people were dancing and bouncing I noticed the 33 was actually swaying forwards... then back.. forwards... then back.. in the morning the carpet was a bit wet, and the front glass was all water streaked... ever since then I've liked short stout tanks.

EmilyB
04-06-2003, 05:11 AM
I doubt you will move into that neighborhood anytime soon, bcog...but party on... :razz: :mrgreen:

BCOrchidGuy
04-06-2003, 05:19 AM
Why does Wendell live in one of them upper class neighbourhoods?... maybe me and my 90 wont meet the requirements ... lol

StirCrazy
04-06-2003, 06:09 AM
All I'm gonna say is hose clamps are really really really important. Trust me!! :eek:

Bahahahaha :evil:

Steve

StirCrazy
04-06-2003, 06:10 AM
Musta gone downstairs!! :eek:

Maby if you ask the tennants real nice they will give it back :wink:

Steve

Aquattro
04-06-2003, 06:58 AM
nah, their stupid dog prolly drank it!!

smokinreefer
04-06-2003, 08:06 AM
hey brad,
i feel your pain.
i dont know how many gallons upon gallons of water my basement sponge...errrr, i mean carpet has soaked up!
and yes, those shopvacs are awesome!

p.s.
if you guys have always planned to cover the back of your open back hood/canopy, don't procastinate, b/c if you do, the thing you are trying to prevent might just happen. :rolleyes: :cry:

Beverly
04-06-2003, 11:28 PM
Moving things around today to add a MH to the sump

Ah ha! That's the reason we don't have a sump or refugium. One too many things can go wrong with 'em then you're screwed :eek:

Sorry to hear the horror story, Brad.

Aquattro
04-07-2003, 12:17 AM
Bev, the worst flood I ever had was losing 70g from a 90g tank that had no sump or refugium. Next worst was losing 20g froma 45g tank running a fluval, no sump or refugium. This tank lost about 5g of 155g running a sump...hmmmmm :biggrin:

Beverly
04-07-2003, 02:05 AM
Bev, the worst flood I ever had was losing 70g from a 90g tank that had no sump or refugium.

Holy CRAP! I'm not sure I want to know how that happened, but I'll bet folks are wondering now ....

The worst we ever experienced was the loss of a couple of gallons out of our old 75 gal due to a skimmer problem. Lucky the tank was on lino, or we'da been really upset.

Next worst was losing 20g froma 45g tank running a fluval, no sump or refugium.

Yeah, I've never trusted anything but hang on back filtration, or plain old powerheads with prefilters that I clean at least once a week. I'm a low-tech, hands in the water reefkeeper, that's for sure :cool: The most sophisticated piece of equipment we have are the timers, and DH keeps them going. Oh, and we just got a magnetic glass cleaner. I guess that's pretty high-tech for me, too :rolleyes:

sumpfinfishe
04-12-2003, 06:20 AM
I really feel for ya Brad, sounds like a stressful day to say the least.
Are you planning on growing some mushrooms down in the dark, moist basement now?, if so I'll take 10 lbs of shitake and oysters :mrgreen:

cheers, Rich