Dale
08-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Here's a pic of my 140G. reef as it was before going on holidays

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/fishherder/eeex.jpg

and how it looked upon my return

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/fishherder/100_4171.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/fishherder/100_4172.jpg

100% livestock die off.

The power went out just after my fishsitter checked the tank on Friday and the power bar controlling the filter and circulating pumps tripped out. No circulation/filtration, combined with the high temps on the weekend pushed the tank over the edge I guess. I am still cleaning up the mess (all those big softies put out quite a smell).

mark
08-20-2008, 11:20 PM
What???

Oceanic
08-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Here's a pic of my 140G. reef as it was before going on holidays

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/fishherder/eeex.jpg

and how it looked upon my return

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/fishherder/100_4171.jpg

(editing in photo)

Please elaborate!

Chaloupa
08-20-2008, 11:26 PM
What happened???

Lance
08-20-2008, 11:29 PM
WTF happened???

Bugsy
08-20-2008, 11:41 PM
So sorry to see and hear that. We have friends that this happened to 3 time with their 125 gal and they just kept on trucking replacing everything 3 times....:neutral:

I think after the first time I would have packed it in due to the cost of this hobby.

We had a power outage for 5 hrs last night but thankfully nothing in my 1 gal pico was affected. You would think a 1 gal has no room for error but all is just fine.

So sorry to hear that, hope the cleanup goes well and you can replace that lovely looking tank real soon.

Amy:biggrin:

JDigital
08-20-2008, 11:42 PM
:eek::shocked!:

That is devastating.... So many tank deaths lately.... :cry:

christyf5
08-20-2008, 11:55 PM
OMG that totally sucks. I had the same thing happen last year, the fuse blew after the tank sitter checked the tank on the long weekend and by the time we got home it was up to 90 degrees. Not quite the devastation that you have had but painful nonetheless.

Sorry to hear, I hope you stick with it.

mseepman
08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Very sad to see that. It's always every reefers nightmare that something like that happens.

landshark
08-21-2008, 12:22 AM
A heartbreaking loss, to say the least.

dsaundry
08-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Very sad....Did anything make it?? Fish??:sad:

fishoholic
08-21-2008, 01:08 AM
OMG that's awful! :cry:

steve fedyk
08-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Sad to read that your tank past a way. I had friends that that had it happen to. I takes time to rebuild. Wish you the best of luck with new tank.:cry:

fkshiu
08-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Murphy's Law seems to apply to reefs more than any other hobby I know of.

It's like the gremlins are waiting to strike as soon as you go away on vacation.

jpdutton
08-21-2008, 01:43 AM
Been there brother, it sucks.
I went away for the long weekend about two years ago, while I was gone my return pump died. I lost all my fish, inverts, everything except for my LTA, a Green brain and a green Pagoda. I lost some hard to find pieces, Red Frogspawn, a crazy 30 head crazy frogspawn arg... I hate to even think about it.

I walked in saw the tank, turned around walked outside and did a chevy Chase in the drive way. (like he did when all those christmas lights didn't work)

I almost packed it in.

fishytime
08-21-2008, 02:55 AM
Sorry for the loss. If I were in your neck of the woods I would offer to help stock back up when you are ready. Think of it this way....is there anything that you would have done differently with the tank setup or aquascaping? This is your chance to improve (if you can) on the tank.

LeeR
08-21-2008, 03:41 AM
i would have smashed my face into the glass with anger.:mrgreen:

Dale
08-21-2008, 04:16 AM
Thanks all for the kind thoughts.
On one level I feel sorry for the livestock that I felt a sense of stewardship towards (a mandarin goby, pipefish and seahorse that all ate frozen food, a rescued unicorn and tang etc...) but these things do happen in the hobby. We think we can plan for every problem but sometimes sh_t just happens. In this case it was a perfect storm of sorts.
First a power outage that somehow tripped off the main powerbar (still haven't figured that out). That shut down my fluval FX-5, powerheads and evaporative cooling fan. Next, three days of hot weather where my tank would have probably gone beyond 90*F. I think this probably caused a drop in oxygen that may have killed something. The fouling from that, in those conditions, would probably kill something else and a cascade of unchecked die offs would then occur.
Fishytime has the right idea though. We are getting the tank up and running so the rock can cycle and then we will rebuild from there. I am leaning towards a seahorse/pipefish species tank filled with macro algaes so already the wheels are turning....

muck
08-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Dang Dale.. thats really sad.

Im thinking that once I set up my new tank (and I will....eventually) I think I might have to get a house-sitter or just not ever go away for holidays again. :sad: