PDA

View Full Version : Check Valves

brandy
08-20-2008, 05:26 PM
I dont know where should I place this thread, but I am looking for a place in Calgary (if there is any ???) where I can get some check valves like
True Union Swing Check Valve - 1/2 inch Slip x 1/2 inch Slip ( or 3/4, 1" even larger...)
Pic:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searchItem.aspx?IdCategory=&SearchText=true+union+swing+check+valve&parsed=1

Last time I went to LA for a wedding and so bought some there, but didnt think about needing some more now for another new setup.

Thanks in advance.

BL

Delphinus
08-20-2008, 05:39 PM
The last time I bought a check valve I bought it from Ocean Aquatics (mail-order, one of our sponsors).

Basically, I'd be a little surprised if you'll find anywhere local that has true "tru-union" style anythings (yay for Calgary), but you should be able to find slip valves, either slip or threaded, at either Western Pump, maybe Plumbateria, or Rona and/or Home Depot, depending on how good your local Rona/HD is (some are better than others, I work close to the Macleod Tr/Southland Dr Rona and they have a suprisingly generally decent selection of plumbing bits - but some of these big box stores have a surprisingly hopeless selection - so it's a bit hit and miss depending on what store you go to).

But generally speaking a lot of the more specialty parts we like in this hobby are really hard to find locally. Just try looking for a PVC gate valve, for example.

Oh, hmmm, another idea to try is UFA.

Happy hunting :)

Phanman
08-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Golds has the check valves in stock but not the true unions.

brandy
08-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys for your infos.
This made me remeber when I started garthering parts to setup my system, I had to register and order from MD and JL. I guess, I'll have to stick with those "long-distance friends" as it sad but true that :lol: "...(yay for calgary)..." :lol:

Thanks guys.

JDigital
08-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Red Coral might have some plumbing parts in stock... Maybe give them a call before placing your order online

muck
08-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Not a big fan of Check Valves. IMO its just a matter of time before they fail.

How are you using these check valves? Are you relying on them to stop backflow from your tank should the power go out?
You can design your system without check valves and have one less thing to worry about. ;)

superduperwesman
08-20-2008, 09:34 PM

How are you using these check valves? Are you relying on them to stop backflow from your tank should the power go out?
You can design your system without check valves and have one less thing to worry about. ;)

I agree :)

brandy
08-20-2008, 09:37 PM

Very nice thinking ! Yes and sad that My tank was designed as such in the first place when I didn't know ANYTHING about SW or reef or anything about this "corrosive hobby"... So, HAVE TO use check valve, but then I found it WILL BE CLOGGED by times, so, the one that can be part out for cleaning is the best, and that where was introduced to the Tru Union friends. With this guy, you can easily part out and clean as often as you like. So, what I did was using a GV in front of CV. Eveytime I need to do cleaning for CV, just shut the GV off and uncrew the CV for cleaning then put it back nice and cleaned. That's why I like those tru-unions.

Any of you have done the same? - Hope none... :lol:

jpdutton
08-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Why where does your return enter the tank?

victornguyen
08-20-2008, 11:32 PM
i got 1.5 true unoins if you want them got 2 extras. I got two on my tank. cant see them failing for many years. Its like saying "dont buy that power head as it will eventually fail...."

brandy
08-21-2008, 02:30 AM
Why where does your return enter the tank?

I am not quite get what you mean ? - But I think you mean where does the hose enter to tank for return line. my tank is custom design. I sketched it myself with return right on the backwall 2/3 uptop, not up to the air and back in water like many other tank. Thanks

i got 1.5 true unoins if you want them got 2 extras. I got two on my tank. cant see them failing for many years. Its like saying "dont buy that power head as it will eventually fail...."

You mean 1.5 inch ? - My pipe is only 1/2 inch. But thanks for the helps.
I also agree with you about equipments' failure. And even if it might fail due to dirty clogging, we can prevent by cleaning it thouogh.

mark
08-21-2008, 04:15 AM

power head craps out no big deal, flood my basement with salt water if a valve failed...

Delphinus
08-21-2008, 05:29 AM
Not all applications of a check valve are as all dire as all that though. I needed a check valve because otherwise my zeovit reactor would dry out in the off periods as the rocks were higher than the waterline in my sump. Although having said that all I did was buy the check valve and then never installed it, and just ran the zeovit reactor 24/7. Ooops.

Although I agree, I'd rather have a sump return line without a check valve. It's just asking for trouble sooner or later. My favourite sump return setup involves having locline right at the surface - no siphon hole no check valve no sump overflows.

jpdutton
08-21-2008, 02:43 PM
I am not quite get what you mean ? - But I think you mean where does the hose enter to tank for return line. my tank is custom design. I sketched it myself with return right on the backwall 2/3 uptop, not up to the air and back in water like many other tank. Thanks

I had a tank with a similar design and what I did was to use Loc Line from the return bulkhead and bent the loc line in a shape that brought the spout closer to the water surface, so as soon as the water dropped slightly the spout of the loc line would get air to break the siphon.

This will be a much better option for you, if you have a pump failure 1/3 of your tank would siphon out, which would leave 2/3s baking under your lights.

brandy
08-21-2008, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=jpdutton;340890] ... to use Loc Line from the return bulkhead and bent the loc line in a shape that brought the spout closer to the water surface, so as soon as the water dropped slightly the spout of the loc line would get air to break the siphon.QUOTE]

Nice thought.
As you are the third person who suggested me doing that, I think I'll make some modification to my system soon. Thanks :lol:
I agree with the thought: Less worries is more enjoyable !

Thanks,