PDA

View Full Version : Yes Yes Good

Patrick1
08-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh after waiting months I now have some money wave action happening in my tank. I just set up 4 Tunze 6055's on my Profilux. It took me a little while to get things set right but I am getting a nice flow now. I went with smaller power heads instead of big ones as I could hide them better and also even out the flow and have less dead spots. Anyways just thought I would take a break from the head ache I was getting from the sponsor poll thing and share my good news..

slakker
08-19-2008, 09:22 PM
how did you set up the time, etc. to get waves going? I'm debating wave box vs. multiple powerheads... the whole notion that a wavebox can "break" a tank scares the crap out of me... :)

Patrick1
08-19-2008, 09:28 PM
I am controlling my power heads via my Profilux but Tunze, Vortec & Koralia all make controllers for their powerheads. I have had no experience with a wavebox. I just really had enough with ugly things sitting in my last tank Skimmers etc.

Honestly the power heads work fine for me. I am running them 30 seconds a side so my LPS flowes to one side then the other. It dies down to 50% max at night and shrimp go wild.

superduperwesman
08-19-2008, 09:30 PM
I think it's time for a VIDEO:idea:

Patrick1
08-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Oh that was my 100th post where do I get my cash prize???

fkshiu
08-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Four 6055s in a 72 bowfront is a lot of flow! You can actually add appreciably more by simply removing the little plastic lip on the inside of the front cover of a 6055.

Patrick1
08-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Four 6055s in a 72 bowfront is a lot of flow! You can actually add appreciably more by simply removing the little plastic lip on the inside of the front cover of a 6055.

Hmm interesting can you elaborate??

fkshiu
08-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Hmm interesting can you elaborate??

1. Pop off the front cover. On the inside you'll notice a small plastic lip running around the top half of the circular nozzle where water gets pushed out (when assembled this lip sits just above the propellor).

2. Take a Dremel-type tool and cut off most of the lip with a cutting wheel.

3. Switch to a grinding stone and finish off the rest of the lip until flush with the rest of the cover.

4. Take 150-200 grit sandpaper and wet sand the area until it is perfectly smooth.

That's it. In about five minutes you've got a lot more flow. That lip severely restricts quite a bit of flow. My 6055 can now reach across the length of my 6-foot tank whereas before it only got to around 4 feet or so before the flow died.

Patrick1
08-19-2008, 10:19 PM
SWEEEEEETTT!!!!

Thanks for your help

slakker
08-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I have the exact same, a 72 G bowfront...

So you have 2 on each side pointing into the tankdirectly and basically pulse from each side as described? What about height from top? Are they all pretty much near the top of tank... sorry to be a pain, but this may help me out a lot! So "tanks" a lot :)

A picture would be great!

Patrick1
08-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Sorry for the delay..

I have 2 on each side. One at the top and one at mid hight. The upper ones are as high as I could get sweeping over the rock wall. The bottom ones are aimed more directly as of now. The nice thing is you can aim them so you can change the flow including the amount you have to suit your needs.

Just so you know Tunze will be releasing thier new models which will have even higher flow rates with the new style like the 4055's. I looked at some of the new ones, they make a power head now with a flow rate up almost 9000 gallons..