PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia troubles

Hangfire
08-18-2008, 09:29 PM
So my tank is rapidly filling up with these little buggers and I'm sort of at a loss as to getting rid of them. I'm not really sure that I want to put a peppermint shrimp in my tank just to get rid of them. I was wondering if anyone has one of those nudibranches that eat aptasia? I was thinking that I might get one, and then try to catch him when he eats the last one and pass him on so he doesn't starve. Anyone be interested in something like that? I would hate to buy this critter knowing he was going to die from starvation after it's done me a great service.

parkinsn
08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
my understanding of the berghia is that they hunt in pack's, this seems to be the best site i have found for them. If only you lived in calgary i would do a group order with you, cuz i have i aptasia problem as well

http://coralscaping.com/berghia_1.html

Hangfire
08-18-2008, 09:44 PM
. . . they hunt in pack's . . .

This is pretty funny. I can see them now, surrounding the unsuspecting aptasia before going in for the kill.

I wish you lived in Vancouver ;). I figured that there would be at least a few people around with the same problem as me. It's too darn bad that the really nice beautiful anemones aren't as hardy as these things. I can't seem to kill them at all, and I've tried!

slakker
08-18-2008, 09:46 PM
too bad... I'm in Vancouver but just put in some peppermints last month to control my aptasia and flatworms...

wickedfrags
08-18-2008, 09:51 PM
what size tank?

I have a copperband butterfly that eats the aptasia out of my hand! Downside, you need a larger tank to keep them long-term unless you can get them to eat prepared foods (which can be tricky). No gurantee they will eat aptasia also...

Hangfire
08-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Well let me know how the peppermints do slakker - and I didn't know they ate flatworms as well. Interesting. Still, I'd hate to get some shrimp and have them walk over the aptasia to get to something they find tastier.

Marlin65
08-18-2008, 10:12 PM
I had them in my old tank and peppermints took care of them. If you have clams I would not put them in though.

Hangfire
08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
what size tank?

The tank is only 38 gallons

I have a copperband butterfly that eats the aptasia out of my hand! Downside, you need a larger tank to keep them long-term unless you can get them to eat prepared foods (which can be tricky). No gurantee they will eat aptasia also...

What other things do they eat? I thought I had read that they also really like feather duster worms - I have a ton of them in the tank (but I kinda like them, so I wouldn't want to see them all disappear).

slakker
08-18-2008, 10:48 PM
It seems to have done the trick, but I did a few things at once... so the background is my 14G Biocube got an aptasia and flatworm "bloom". I went and got a peppermint, a six line and increased the water flow. I also did a fresh water dip on the corals (amazing how much flatworms came off). It's about a month now and aptasia and flatworms are gone. At least I can't find any when I look (and I'm trying pretty hard).

But I did have to move my flasher wrasse as the six line was picking on it. The scarlet that in the tank is good with the peppermint.

Evil Guppy
08-19-2008, 04:31 AM
I had a bit of Aiptasia problem as well and 2 Peppermint Shrimp solved the problem. The Aiptasia that I had were all pretty small though. I've heard that if the aiptasia are too big, the Peppermints wont eat them... but I dont have any experience with this firsthand.

As for Flatworms, mine don't seem to be interested in eating them at all.

purplepolypeater
08-19-2008, 12:27 PM
i use really thick concentration of salt and a little water just squirt it on with my test syringe sometimes takes two applications but kills them and majano

cwickham
08-20-2008, 04:59 AM
Joes juice works great for me.. kills them almost instantly and they dont come back.. and the lil container you get for 8 dollars last forever because you only need such a tiny bit.

Funkytone
08-25-2008, 04:11 AM
Hey Hangfire, I'm going to do an order from www.coralscaping.com so I wrote a new post in the livestock section. Let me know if you would like some.

-Tony

lorenz0
08-31-2008, 05:16 AM
well instead of starting a new thread i thought i would just bump this one.

so my tank is starting to fill up with the little buggers now to. been using this tailored aquatic's aip remover and i had to remove a huge rock. now one has hit my gorgous yuma and i need to know how good are pep shrimp and is 1 ok for a 20H

OCDP
08-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Honestly... I have never had trouble removing aptasia. I see threads pop up all the time, and it reminds me of Albert's post a while back.

You have to turn off all your pumps, no waterflow, period. What I used was a small amount of kalk paste. Smother the little buggers completely. Get inside their little hole.. fill it up with kalk (or whatever your using) Let it sit for a good few minutes, let it seep into the hole. Just be patient, letting it all sit for a good 5 minutes at least. I have also had minor success with a Peppermint shrimp. They do only eat the smaller ones, but I did see one having a feast on a rather larger aptasia.. fun to watch.

Anyways, kalk paste has always worked for me... obviously there are some that are a little more stubborn than others, but just be dilligent and they will die off. Again, this is my experience. No aptasia in the new tank yet !*fingers crossed*

bignose
08-31-2008, 04:17 PM
have you tried lemon juice to kill the aiptasia? I bought a needle from a vet supply store and injected them with lemon juice. Just get close and jab it good and inject, you'll see a little puff from the juice. I had a couple in my tank and it got rid of them the first try.