PDA

View Full Version : what do asterina starfish eat?

Brighteyes_13
08-17-2008, 06:06 PM
just wondering if anyone can verify what i think im seeing in my tank... ive been having troubles regrowing my GSP since my accident this spring and have been finding less and less of it in my tank... for the last few days ive noticed one of those small asterina starfish looking kinda suspicious in my GSP. i was under the impression that asterinas only eat dead/decaying stuff but it really looks like a path has been mowed right through the polyp mat right where he is (purple mat, showing grey of rock in a nice, clean quarter inch path about an inch long).

any ideas whats going on?!

str255
08-17-2008, 07:48 PM
I had two small (1.5-2 inch) red sea stars (at different times) in my tank.

The first never touched my GSP, the second found my GSP after a day or two and sat on it for a day and a half before I removed it ... and I found a sea star shaped pattern down to the bare rock.

Brent F
08-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Some are safe and other's not.

One guideline I heard is if they are on the glass they are safe but if on your corals they aren't.

Drock169
08-17-2008, 11:35 PM
i've had some eat gsp before

BC564
08-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Some are safe and other's not.

One guideline I heard is if they are on the glass they are safe but if on your corals they aren't.

hahaha...I like that

Xoldskies
08-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Try having a look once your lights go out. I have been having issues with mine, and I just noticed a small worm eating it up. Havent found my solution yet as since its too quick for my squishing stick..