PDA

View Full Version : new tank here!!

spikehs
04-04-2003, 02:35 AM
My 50gal tank came in today, its 36x18x18 i ordered the front starphire but it looks like the sides came with it too! here are some pics, the second one really shows the diff between regular and starphire, even for such a smallish tank.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/hornys/Sean/tank1.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/hornys/Sean/tank2.jpg

Jack
04-04-2003, 04:46 AM
Whoa, cool tank. Good score with the saphire on the sides too. Where did you get that made for you? What's a nice tank like that run for?

Canadian Man
04-04-2003, 04:48 AM
Your second picture brings up a good point Sean.
I can't remember who said it but it was in one of your otherpost's in which you were asking about starphire....that person said you probably wont notice a diffrence with thin glass.

Well I sure notice a diffrence in the picture.! :cool:
Very nice tank!

Canadian Man
04-04-2003, 04:50 AM
Oh it also looks like they did the bottom as well. :razz: I guess your not going to be running a sand bed, just so you can get clear viewing through the bottom :lol:

spikehs
04-04-2003, 05:55 AM
got the tank from big als, i am not sure who they ordered it from but, inter-america makes sense...the tank was $150 and the starphire was an extra $30.....descision decisions on the sand bed...this current debate has me thinking. The tank is not 220gal nice tho! Would it be a bad idea to remove the center brace?

Canadian Man
04-04-2003, 02:40 PM
How thick is the glass sean?
I would do what I did on my 90g. cut out the black brace and leave a bit of it remaining. replace it with a piece of acrylic and your golden!

spikehs
04-04-2003, 03:52 PM
the glass is 1/4inch...so do you mean just cut out the black center brace, leave the black border and silicone a peice of acrylic to the black frame?

Canadian Man
04-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Sorry when I wrote that this morning I was in a rush to get to work.
Cut out the black cross brace leaving about a 1" tab on the front and back. Make an acrylic cross brace to replace the black piece you cut out. it has to overlap the tab's that you left. Line it all up and drill 2 holes in the front acrylic and tab and the rear as well. use plastic bolts and nuts from hd and your good. I did this on my 90g when it was full :eek: you can come over and check it out if you need a visual.

make sense now?

Bob I
04-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Just one question, is the tank drilled at the ends for the returns? I have never done such a thing, but perhaps I should go and order one too. :eek: I have a spare ten gallon tank, so I could have a sump too, just like the big boys. I could perhaps get rid of a powerhead, and hang my CPR refugium on the sump. I could even get really stupid, and get a skimmer, but that ain't likely to happen. :rocol:

spikehs
04-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Ahhh i think i got yah now! probably wont be doing that for a bit. going to HD now to pick up some pvc to make a durso stand pipe....Bob, its drilled on both sides actually, gonna hook up a SCWD to get some nice alternating current...

Delphinus
04-04-2003, 04:59 PM
That's a nice looking glass box ya got there.

Quinn
04-04-2003, 05:27 PM
looks like an IA tank to me. overflow is identical to mine.

sumpfinfishe
04-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Looks gggrrreat! :eek:
I didn't know starphire would make such a difference :biggrin:
:idea: I wonder if I could order the same tank here in Vanc. from Big Al's.
That tank of your is going to be on the top of my list when I start my second future setup :exclaim:

cheers, Rich