PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angels in Reef Tanks?

Beverly
04-03-2003, 03:10 PM
I know dwarf angels can be a bit iffy in a reef, but I'm considering eventually adding one to our 42 hex to replace the anthias that disappeared. The only fish I think will be a problem for any new additions is the speckled hawkfish who is pretty aggressive. Plus, we've got to get the second crab, who looks like a smaller version of the first crab, outta there.

Anybody willing to share flame angels in their reef stories? TIA.

Bob I
04-03-2003, 09:46 PM
You might have a look at the free publication "Seascope", it has an article on Pygmy Angelfish in the Marine Aquarium. You can find it online at www.marinelandlabs.com then click on "What's new" under the News tab, then click on Seascope newsletter. BTW I have had the worst of the lot, which is the Lemonpeel for a couple of months, and he is as good as gold. Go figure. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Beverly
04-04-2003, 12:15 AM
You might have a look at the free publication "Seascope", it has an article on Pygmy Angelfish in the Marine Aquarium.

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading and has given me food for thought.

stephane
04-04-2003, 08:31 AM
Angel (any) are the worst fish you could buy in a reef IMO

I have try severale kind (2 flame,coral beauty,potter,emperator....) and they have all transform there self in nibler after a while some take month other years but they all do in my case . If you try 10 maybe you will fine one good :mad:

Scales
04-04-2003, 04:57 PM
I must have been lucky. I have had a flame angel for a couple of years. Nice specimen with no observed bad habits. Invertebrates include various zooanthids, mushrooms, star polyp colonies, Xenia and a trumpet coral (as well as a CBS and various hermits). No signs of damage to any invertebrates. I recall reading on a number of occasions that the flame angel has risk...some are good, some will pick at or eat invertebrates.

ranz
04-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Oh Beverly

I have a dwarf Angel named Marty, as in Marty Feldman who has big eye's...

We dont have a lot of delicate stuff stuff in our tank so maybe im not a good judge, Marty bullies everyone but no one listens. Marty tries to push his weight around but never persists....
We love Marty he is always cruiz-in....................
BTW Marty is no dwarf, Marty has grown to at least 2 1/2"
(yes it is a Dwarf Angel)

Ranz

Bob I
04-15-2003, 02:02 AM
Oh Beverly

I have a dwarf Angel named Marty, as in Marty Feldman who has big eye's...

We dont have a lot of delicate stuff stuff in our tank so maybe im not a good judge, Marty bullies everyone but no one listens. Marty tries to push his weight around but never persists....
We love Marty he is always cruiz-in....................
BTW Marty is no dwarf, Marty has grown to at least 2 1/2"
(yes it is a Dwarf Angel)

Ranz

Actually Marty Feldman has been dead for years. What kind of Dwarf Angel is Marty?

StirCrazy
04-15-2003, 01:08 PM
I have had a flame angel in my tank for over 6 months now. aside from the ocassional peck at the brain (same thing my tang does to encourage the release of algae) it has not touched anything.

Steve

1bigstud
04-16-2003, 01:15 AM
How about lemon peel angels anyone have any experience on those???

Bob I
04-16-2003, 01:30 AM
How about lemon peel angels anyone have any experience on those???

Why not click on the link in the second post in this thread. There you can read all you need about Lemonpeels.

Troy F
04-16-2003, 03:06 AM
Why not click on the link in the second post in this thread. There you can read all you need about Lemonpeels.

Maybe he did and he's looking for a little personal experience.

TANGOMAN
04-16-2003, 03:08 AM
Hey Bob, why not click on the post reply button and answer if ya' have experience... :lol: . Couldn't resist. Hmmm, I wonder where I get that "grumpy old man" sarcasm" from. :rolleyes: . Besides, you can tell the Fluval hose sucker what a great fish your Lemonpeel is.
Bob likes his. Mines a troublemaker. It torments the hell out of my Lionfish(large).

Bob I
04-16-2003, 08:34 PM
OK, OK, sorry about the personal experience thing. I got my Lemonpeel on December 12th 2002. That makes it four months. When I first got him I had some volunteer zoanthids growing on a rock that Yellow Polyps had been on. The yellow polyps had disappeared. The Lemonpeel promptly ate the zoos. Today the tank has two kinds of zoos, Toadstool Leather, two Colts, Tubipora musica, Encrusting Leather (Cladiella sp.), Cabbage Leather, Green Hairy Mushrooms, Montipora digitata, Acropora, Candycane, Torch, Green Star Polyps, Red Mushrooms, Blue Mushrooms. He bothers none of those. I put in a Closed Brain (Favia), and he sometimes picked at that, so I removed it. For fish there are two Ocellaris Clowns, three Green Chromis, one YT Damsel, one Bicolor Blenny.

That is all the personal experience I have. :arrow: :biggrin: