PDA

View Full Version : dead wrasse

Snappy
08-15-2008, 01:39 AM
It sure hurt to loose this wrasse, it was a beauty. :sad: The picture does no justice to the colours at all. I'm not sure why but it went on a hunger strike.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/Trainer02/Aug908004deadwrasse.jpg
As an interesting consolation my 4 year old Yellow coris wrasse that has been MIA for 6 weeks turned up today and is alive.:biggrin:

Chaloupa
08-15-2008, 02:11 AM
That is too bad as that is a gorgeous wrasse....but at least now your other one comes out....was that a Royal Pencil Wrasse? It looks like it, and the males are STUNNING fish!

Ephraim
08-15-2008, 02:18 AM
sucks to lose that wrasse. Mine is my favorite fish in my tank, lots of spunk. Did it jump?

Snappy
08-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Sarah,
Yes I believe that is what it's called.
Mark,
It just stopped eating for some unknown reason.:question:

sharuq1
08-15-2008, 02:23 AM
That totally sucks, he was a real beauty.

Borderjumper
08-15-2008, 02:38 AM
They are a stunning fish for sure! My first one was determined to carpet surf, and after about a dozen attempts he succeded. The one I have now is much calmer and seems more content. Maybe because I finally found a female to pair him with? Shes a beauty too, shaped the same way but bright orange with the white belly.

Lance
08-15-2008, 03:01 AM
That really sucks! A beautiful fish. How long did you have him for?

Borderjumper
08-15-2008, 03:16 AM
His fin looks damaged?

Snappy
08-15-2008, 04:15 AM
Borderjumper - I found it dead on the bottom of the tank with a large brittle star making a meal of him so his fin is pretty much gone.
Lance - I only had it a short time. I watched it eat like a pig in the store but it starved itself at my place.
I've replaced him with a mystery wrasse that is doing great and eating lots. :mrgreen:

naesco
08-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Snappy,
Pencil wrasses are very difficult to keep so what happened to you pencial wrasse is consistent with what happens to them in captivity.
Here is what Fenner has to say about them.

"The eight species of "Pencil Wrasses" are of the "ultra-advanced" reef keeper’s domain (3’s). These fishes define the word "touchy" with most dying in transit from the wild or mysteriously "overnight". Males of the species are colorful, whereas the females of all species are generally uniformly orangish in color. Other unidentified Pseudojuloides are appearing in the trade as time goes by. Be wary of these "Pencils"; they’re unpredictably sensitive as well."

Please don't replace her.
Thanks

Chaloupa
08-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Naesco, good information.. I personally would consider Snappy to be an "advanced" aquarist......that was a male he lost, the females are orange with no markings.

naesco
08-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Naesco, good information.. I personally would consider Snappy to be an "advanced" aquarist......that was a male he lost, the females are orange with no markings.

I never mean to comment on anyone's abilities but just want to draw to all reefers attention that many fish are best left in the sea or attempted by very experienced reefers. IMO this is one of those species.
Thanks Chaloupa

Tom R
08-16-2008, 02:31 AM
It sure hurt to loose this wrasse, it was a beauty. :sad: The picture does no justice to the colours at all. I'm not sure why but it went on a hunger strike.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/Trainer02/Aug908004deadwrasse.jpg
:

I had one exactly the same however he tried jumping from one tank to another and did not make it. It had magnificent colouring.

Tom R

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-16-2008, 03:40 AM
I had one for several months but my blue-sided fairy wrasse chased him out of the 210g reef tank. I saved him twice, but the third time he went out the back & it took too long to reach him. It was too bad since he was a beauty, just like yours. I'll only get another if I put glass tops on my tank. Mine ate like a pig & was always cruising around the tank.

Anthony