Neat fish.

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Fish/Gobies/Hectors/137-3763_img_std.jpg

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Fish/Gobies/Hectors/137-3751_img_std.jpg

Dresden
04-03-2003, 09:29 AM
wow neat looking fish, great pattern

AJ_77
04-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Very nice fish Sam, your tank is looking very bright also. Will we be seeing Acro growth pics soon?

Samw
04-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Very nice fish Sam, your tank is looking very bright also. Will we be seeing Acro growth pics soon?

Sure, as soon as I get some growth on them. :lol:

I think I made a mistake going with a mini-pendant because although the light is intense, it is spread over a big area and a lot of light is wasted into the bedroom. If I had something more focused like a PFO reflector, I could get more light into tank I think.

Well, we'll see in a future issue of Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine how the pendents do against the regular mogul reflectors that were tested in the March issue.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/feature.htm

BCOrchidGuy
04-05-2003, 03:44 PM
It's tough isn't it Sam, you spend a small fortune on lighting and then you wonder if you should have tried something different.... are we just hard to please or is there really a concern....( don't ask my wife)

Dorkel Marine 1
04-11-2003, 08:00 AM
how much, where, and what to you feed this little character.

George Muller

sumpfinfishe
04-12-2003, 06:11 AM
Sam, wow- great pics as always! and that's a nice looking fish too!
When are we getting together for a photoshoot and a few cold ones?
cheers, Rich

Samw
04-12-2003, 09:07 AM
Dorkel, I haven't seen them eat anything yet that I put in the tank. I've only seen them sift through the sand. They are suppose to eat pods. They also love to hide in caves. I rarely see them at all. They were from J&L but they sold out in a few days of receiving them.

Sumpinfishe, YGM.

AJ_77
04-12-2003, 04:27 PM

Sure, as soon as I get some growth on them. :lol:

I think I made a mistake going with a mini-pendant because although the light is intense, it is spread over a big area and a lot of light is wasted into the bedroom. If I had something more focused like a PFO reflector, I could get more light into tank I think.

Well, we'll see in a future issue of Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine how the pendents do against the regular mogul reflectors that were tested in the March issue.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/feature.htm
Any news on the lighting front, Sam? When you say the light from the mini-pendant is spread over a big area, how big would you estimate - as compared with the footprint you're trying to cover? I'm curious to see how you deal with this one.
:biggrin:

Samw
04-14-2003, 07:21 AM
Any news on the lighting front, Sam? When you say the light from the mini-pendant is spread over a big area, how big would you estimate - as compared with the footprint you're trying to cover? I'm curious to see how you deal with this one.
:biggrin:

Not yet. I could see that the beam is going to be a wide pyramid shape based on the shape of the reflector. It will have a wider angle spread than a PFO reflector. I can't really answer your question on how wide it covers. I plan to put some doors in the alcove above the tank in front of the reflector and either paint them white on the inside or install aluminum on them. This will prevent most of the light from entering the bedroom and reflect it back to the tank.

Hopefully, the next issue of Advance Aquarists will have the information that you are interested in on the light spread of the mini-pendants. They seem to be quite late in getting the April issue out.

Quinn
07-15-2003, 02:06 AM
Sam, how is the Hector's goby doing? I see that J&L has them in stock and since I saw yours in this post they've been in the back of my mind. However I'm wondering how'd they do in a fairly new tank with four cleaner shrimps in it (who seem to have obliterated the copepod population, although I see the occasional amphipod molt floating around). My fuge is full of pods, but I'm not sure if they're moving up to the display tank all that much. Do yours accept any prepared/packaged foods?

Samw
07-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Do yours accept any prepared/packaged foods?

Well, I still have that 1 in the picture. I haven't seen it eat any prepared foods. I haven't seen them chase or eat pods of any kind and I have lots of pods, worms, and mysis shrimp. This type of fish seem to have a hard time in my tank. I had one that died a day after I bought it and another disappeared a couple of weeks after I bought it. They tend to have sunken stomachs when I buy them and a weak fish in my tank will become bristleworm food or anemone food or cleaner shrimp food in no time. The one in that pic is doing OK. Its still not as fat as I would like. I'm still not sure what they eat. Its one of the harder fishes for me to keep as odd as that might sound. The ones that have disappeared were all skinny. I bought 1 more just this weekend and I made sure I got a fatter one this time (So now I have 2 again).