PDA

View Full Version : Media Bag with GFO and Carbon

Oscar
08-14-2008, 01:13 AM
Snarkys:

I have just added my first fish and have developed quite an algae bloom, presumably from phosphates in uneaten fish food. Since I have a relatively small tank I want to add a media bag just below the outflow from my skimmer.

Your website recognizes that the GFO should be mixed with carbon if used in a media bag to reduce clumping. What proportion of GFO to carbon is suggested?

Your web page seems to suggest that the GFO can be used for ~2 months but that the carbon "loses effectiveness after a few days but can be left in the tank for a prolonged period of time". I would like to be able to install a mixed bag for a month with say a weekly adjustment of the bag to ensure all of the product is getting water flow.

What kind of a procedure and quantities would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

snarkys
08-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Sorry it took me so long to see this thread. I must have missed the email telling me it was posted .

Yes you can mix them. there isn't really a ratio , more so that you use the typical suggested amount of each. Yes, the carbon will not last as long so you do waste some of the GFO. This typically more of a big deal if you purchase GFO at retail prices but at our prices many people don't spend a lot of time worrying about the couple bucks. Its a trade off I guess, $ or ease of use.