PDA

View Full Version : Making a gold stripe maroon clown pair?

noirsphynx
08-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Has anyone had any success in pairing a gold stripe maroon clown pair? I have a 90g going through a cycle and I will be wanting to add one but preferably a pair. I was told these guys are hard to pair. If I can't find a pair does anyone have any pointers as how I can go about it? Would it be easier for me to make these guys my first additions in hopes of them pairing easier without the stress of too many other fish?

dsaundry
08-14-2008, 01:07 AM
I paired mine with no real problems...You have to be patient and the first rule of thumb is dont buy 2 at the same time unless one is a lot bigger than the other one. What I did was buy one and 7 months later bought another small one{small as you can get} I used a floating acrylic fish fry protector that I put it in and sank it down by the anemone that the other clown had been hosting in. I would refloat it at feeding times and then resink it by the anemone. After 2 weeks and the two of them seeing each other a lot I finally released him into the open tank, The first thing that happened is the little one went right after the big one and than got prompty stomped into the rock. I thought the little one was going to get killed but he hid in the rock and the other one left him alone. As the weeks progressed the big one would allow the little one a little closer to the anemone until after about 3-4 weeks they were hosting together. Dont know if this method will work everytime but it worked well for me. I also have them in a 90g with a lot of live rock. Good luck...:biggrin:

noirsphynx
08-14-2008, 01:15 AM
That sounds like a great way to do it. Thank you! If I can't find a pair already together I will definitely try this method.

dsaundry
08-14-2008, 01:27 AM
No problems, If you have any more questions let me know, I might even have some pics somewhere..Just pm me and I will help you all I can with trying to pair them up...they are a very pretty fish,,aggressive too..mine are in with a Huma Huma trigger{picasso} a Blue spotted puffer, A Golden Dwarf Moray, a Purple Tang, Scribbled Rabbitfish, Coral Beauty, Flounder, Lawnmower Blenny, and a couple of anemone's..all doing well. The Clowns rule the tank....but so far everybody gets along great.....Maybe I got lucky..

Chaloupa
08-14-2008, 03:58 AM
I bought mine at the same time but one was significantly larger than the other. I added them to a new tank at the same time and lucked out...there was some pushing by the female but the male was so much smaller that he just went along with anything she wanted...they host many different BTA's in my tank and get along great with a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel, Speckled Hawkfish, Copperband Butterfly and Coris Wrasse. But are definitely aggressive! I have had them for a couple + years now.

dsaundry
08-14-2008, 04:22 AM
Heres a little video of my GSM's hope you like it..

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/dsaundry/?action=view&current=100_1628.flv

noirsphynx
08-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Thank you so much to both of you for your help and that video was great. That just confirms that I definitely want a pair =)
Dawn

dsaundry
08-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Dont know if you are near Calgary or not but richard_discosimo is selling a marroon clown

noirsphynx
08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Dont know if you are near Calgary or not but richard_discosimo is selling a marroon clown

No, unfortunately I'm in Bon Accord(just a little north of Edmonton) and my tank is newly set up so no fish for me just yet. Thanks though.