PDA

View Full Version : Mini Carpet Anemones

Canadian
08-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Anyone know where these can be purchased in Canada (preferably BC)?

Chaloupa
08-13-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm looking for the same thing...so I'll tag along!

LeeR
08-13-2008, 08:44 PM
i want some too

OCDP
08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Mini Carpet Anemones??

Anyone have any info on these guys? Sounds neat.

Chaloupa
08-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Stichodactyla tapetum

Anemone FAQs taken from Uglycoral.com (hope it's ok to post here even with a copyright)
1. What is Stichodactyla tapetum?
S. tapetum is species of "carpet" anemone. Precise identification can only be done by experts, but wild specimens have been reported to be found off the eastern coast of Singapore and western coast of Japan. In the U.S., hobbyists have obtained these anemones as hitchkers on imported coral colonies from the Indo-Pacific.
2. How big does Stichodactyla tapetumget?
From the hobbyist's standpoint, S. tapetum can be divided into two sub-categories. "Mini" mini carpet anemones are those that naturally divide (fission) at about 1.5" diameter. The "mini" mini carpet anemones are what Gary M. originally refers to in his posts on the ReefCentral message board. S. tapetum also has a "Maxi" mini form which will grow to a reported 12".
3. Will Stichodactyla tapetum host my clownfish?
S. tapetum are not natural clownfish hosts.
4. What is required to keep Stichodactyla tapetum?
Most standard tropical reef aquarium setups are sufficient for S. tapetum. Mini carpet anemones readily adapt to all lighting conditions and like most anemones, can be highly mobile in order to find a suitable position in your tank. Feeding will definitely improve your anemone's growth rate as well as condition it for propagation (natural or other).
5. What does Stichodactyla tapetum eat?
Mini carpet anemones are easy to feed due to their sticky surface. Small portions of krill, mysis shrimp, squid, or fish can be offered to the anemone using a pipet, turkey baster, or forceps. S. tapetum is photosynthetic and does not require direct feeding in order to survive, though it is highly recommended. Feed your anemones as frequently as two small portions per day.
6. Will Stichodactyla tapetum kill or injure my coral?
Most hobbyists keep S. tapetum in their mixed reef tanks without any problems. Please exercise caution if you own expecially sensitive specie. Do NOT mix S. tapetum with other anemones outside the Stichodactyla genus.
7. How do I force propagate my mini carpet anemones?
Only propagate healthy individuals. When you're ready to do so, follow our propagation guide! (http://uglycoral.com/JOOMLA/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=14&Itemid=26)
8. Where can I purchase Stichodactyla tapetum?
The mini form of S. tapetum is in good circulation in many of the local reef clubs around the U.S. Also check out the livestock classifieds sections on Nano-Reef.com or ReefCentral.com. Here at UglyCoral, we are currently in "aggresive propagation" mode and hope to have an assortment of morphs available in the near future.

Monti-Man
08-14-2008, 01:15 AM
I currently have 2 of them in my tank. One is about the size of a quarter and the other is now about the size of a dime. It split about 2 months ago again.

Hoping now that the tank can settle they will grow a little more.

Mine came in on the side of my clam:)

Chaloupa
08-14-2008, 01:22 AM
NICE! Any pics?

dsaundry
08-14-2008, 01:28 AM
I have e-mailed a member of mine on another site..he might be able to help out..will keep you all posted..

LeeR
08-14-2008, 01:39 AM
so maybe a mini nem group order?

OCDP
08-14-2008, 01:43 AM
Very nice, they sure are cool looking. I was hoping they got slightly bigger than a max of 2in. in diameter. They seem to split a lot as well, which could be a welcome bonus!

sharuq1
08-14-2008, 01:50 AM
I currently have 2 of them in my tank. One is about the size of a quarter and the other is now about the size of a dime. It split about 2 months ago again.

How cool is that?! :D May I come and see them sometime?

fishytime
08-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Made note of the scientific name and will mention it to Kevin @ the store.

Monti-Man
08-14-2008, 03:18 AM
How cool is that?! :D May I come and see them sometime?

But of course you can Kelly. We have positioned the rocks now so they are out in front:)

Made note of the scientific name and will mention it to Kevin @ the store.

They are called Stichodactyla tapetum.

Monti-Man
08-14-2008, 03:19 AM
NICE! Any pics?

I will try and dig some up. I tried to take some for Tony awhile back and because they are so small i have issues getting my camera to focus on them.I will see what i have and post:)

Delphinus
08-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Bumpity ... any pics yet??? :p

Monti-Man
08-19-2008, 05:17 AM
I have to try to find my camera in one of the umpteen million boxes i have yet to unpack:lol:

I searched for the thread i put on RC but apparently i didn't take pics then.And i had a couple on my hard drive but my wonderfull teenage daughter and her bleepin nexopia got a virus and had to wipe my entire hard drive clean to get the computer to do anything...grrrrr.

I am unpacking for the next few days so as soon as i find it i will post some pics...:biggrin:

dsaundry
08-19-2008, 04:28 PM
My contact is away for a bit so no luck on getting any yet....:sad:

Underwater
08-19-2008, 04:36 PM
I found some pics of minis-albeit they aren't mine....

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/totm/index.php

They are about mid article....

HTH
~M

Chaloupa
08-20-2008, 04:01 AM
Yeah, he's got some nice ones!

uglycoral
09-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Stichodactyla tapetum

Anemone FAQs taken from Uglycoral.com (hope it's ok to post here even with a copyright)

Hope you found the information useful.

UC

Chaloupa
09-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Yes :biggrin:, yours was the best information I could find....now .... can you find me one in Canada???? Thank you for a great article!