PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new clown, how long before the bigger one stops chasing it?

merryj99
08-13-2008, 04:34 AM
Well about 2 months ago we lost one of our clowns, until now we were not sure if we wanted another, and today we decided to get one, another Percula, it is about half the size of the one we have. Now ever since we put him in the tank the bigger one has done nothing but chase the little one around. We did turn the lights out early and things seemed to have calmed a bit, but is this normal or is this a sign that they will not make good tank mates?

We also got a pictilis anthias that is really pretty and he has not done much since we put him in the tank. But my biggest worry is the small clown, I kinda feel bad for the little guy. If anyone has any advice on how long this might last or if this is normal please I would love the advice.

karazy
08-13-2008, 05:08 AM
ive heard that if this happens the bigger one(the female) isnt used to the newtank amte. ive heard your supposed to take a specimen container and put the smaller clown in there so that the bigger one gets used to the smaller one without hurting it

but i cud be wrong

EmilyB
08-13-2008, 05:43 AM
Yes, gradual introduction with clowns is best...depending on the species it can get pretty violent if you just introduce them quickly.

I'd keep the lights off for a day or so, won't hurt anything.

merryj99
08-14-2008, 12:30 AM
well they seem to be getting along much better. Now if only the Anthius would be a bit more active, he does not seem to be doing a whole lot of anything, he hangs our in one corner of the tank swims a bit then goes back to where he was.

The clowns though are happier though. I wonder though, the pair we had I have no idea which one was the one that passed away...we never did find the body. Does the bigger one now just become the female or could we have two males now?

EmilyB
08-14-2008, 01:12 AM
The more dominant one will become the female, usually this is the larger one.

Myka
08-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Anthias are a schooling fish, and a poor choice for a smaller tank. The Anthias is probably feeling uncomfortable without buddies. :(

merryj99
08-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Anthias are a schooling fish, and a poor choice for a smaller tank. The Anthias is probably feeling uncomfortable without buddies. :(

Really? I specifically asked if he would do OK in the tank and they know exactly what we have in the tank and what type of tank we have. He seems to be ok right now, he is swimming and eating now. I feel really bad now, I have never seen them in the LFS before and when I did ask about them I trusted what the LFS told me. I guess we wait and see, I went back to the LFS today to pick up some food and they had no more left, they had about 10 when I bought him. I guess I will wait until they get more or maybe sell him.:sad: I really do like him, he sure is a pretty fish.

PoonTang
08-15-2008, 04:14 AM
Really? I specifically asked if he would do OK in the tank and they know exactly what we have in the tank and what type of tank we have. He seems to be ok right now, he is swimming and eating now. I feel really bad now, I have never seen them in the LFS before and when I did ask about them I trusted what the LFS told me. I guess we wait and see, I went back to the LFS today to pick up some food and they had no more left, they had about 10 when I bought him. I guess I will wait until they get more or maybe sell him.:sad: I really do like him, he sure is a pretty fish.

Anthias also need to be fed several times per day in order to stay healthy.

merryj99
08-15-2008, 04:17 AM
The feedings are no problem I am home a lot during the day. He is not eating though, I have tried brine, mysis, krill...does anyone have any other ideas? he is swimming around fine now but will not eat anything. I went back to the LFS and they said it could stake a couple of days before he started to eat, is this true?

Borderjumper
08-15-2008, 04:34 AM
What kind on anthias is it?
I bought a male and 2 female square spots awhile back. The first 2 weeks they would not touch anything but cyclopeeze. Slowly they started picking up frozen mysis and spitting it out. Now they eat anything I put in the tank.

merryj99
08-15-2008, 04:52 AM
It is a male anthias pictilis, I am pretty sure when I was at the LFS earlier today they had none left (they sell fast apparently).
What is Cyclopeeze? Is it available at the LFS?