PDA

View Full Version : Green Chromis missing/killed?

Trevor Robertson
04-03-2003, 03:13 AM
Okay so as most of you know I have just added my 1st bit of live stock to the tank, all I have is two green Chromis (sp sorry) 10 snails and 12 blue hermit crabs. Everything looks like is is doing just fine but after a day or two of the fish in the tank one started to hid up in the corner of the tank or behind a rock, I guess the other is being a bit mean. Well now I can not find the other fish, I don't know if it has been killed, or died or just found a way better hiding place where even I can't find it.

Please not this is possible as I only have access to 2 of the four sides of the tank and there is a fair bit (100lbs) of live rock in there but you would think that I would see it when I put food in there...right?

Just want to know if this has happend to you, or if I was mis informed about being able to keep 2 green chromis in a 135gal tank?

Thanks so much for all your help.http://www.crazypics.de/smilies_verwirrt/wirr018.gif

Dresden
04-03-2003, 06:24 AM
with that much room i'd move in, damsels shouldn't be too violent

Aquattro
04-03-2003, 06:31 AM
green chromis can be a bit jumpy and leave the tank. Especially if there is only two. They like to chase each other...I have 9 in my tank and they all do this. chromis also have a reputation of just "disappearing". nobody can explain it.

Jack
04-03-2003, 06:39 AM
It's an un-advertised "trick" they do :rolleyes: They just dissapear for no reason so don't worry about it. Everyone that has kept Green Chromis can probably vouch the same thing.

Beverly
04-03-2003, 12:40 PM
Everything looks like is is doing just fine but after a day or two of the fish in the tank one started to hid up in the corner of the tank or behind a rock, I guess the other is being a bit mean. Well now I can not find the other fish, I don't know if it has been killed, or died or just found a way better hiding place where even I can't find it.

We've had them disappear in our 180 when we had it running. They sleep in rock cavities. It was funny to watch the reef as lights-out was approaching because all the chromis would "practice" backing into their night hiding niches, then come out again, then back in, then back out. All this went on for a half our or longer. It was like someone parking their car in their garage for the night, but not getting it right the first, second or third times :smile:

I never thought of it until the other day when we found that big bad crab and wondered if that's how some of the smaller fish in the 180 went missing. Could've had a predator in the rock and not known about it.

Last night had another glimpse with our trusty flashlight of the second crab in our 42. Looks quite a bit like the first big baddy, but only a quarter of the size. He was on the sandbed near the back of the tank, inpretty much the same place as we'd seen it before. It'll be harder to catch this one, but now I'm a determined crab catcher, that's for sure :evil:

Trevor Robertson
04-03-2003, 02:02 PM
thanks for all the help. I guess that i will have to stop and get new batters for my flash light and take a look at the parking garage.

PS I am going to get some new pictures in the next few days and I will post.

Beverly
04-03-2003, 03:01 PM
I guess that i will have to stop and get new batters for my flash light and take a look at the parking garage.

LOL!! Green chromis are god schooling fish. In our 180, we had 10 or so. They didn't always school, but they were nice fish in a large tank. I'm sorta considering getting 3 of them for the 42, but not until we catch that SOB little crab to be on the safe side.

If not green chromis, perhaps a flame angel to give the 42 more moving colour. I know dwarf angels can be iffy in a reef, so I don't know :confused:

Would appreciate comments on flame angels in a reef. TIA.

Quinn
04-03-2003, 03:23 PM
i've read that centropyge angels are generally reef-safe as long as they're well fed. i was advised to consider one for my tank when i was debating a trio of heniochus diphreutus (which i still am).

Trevor Robertson
04-04-2003, 02:41 PM
I would love to know more about flame angels as well as I would really like one. I have heard that they are safe but nothing wrong with getting some experianced opinons.