PDA

View Full Version : Fish Traps

Treebeard
08-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Do these fish traps (http://www.bigalsonline.ca/StoreCatalog/ctl3664/cp17327/si1398369/cl1/ultralife_the_trap_3_x_9?&query=fish+trap&queryType=0&offset=0) actually work? I have a brown chromis that is in need of a little solitary confinement.

Stones
08-12-2008, 07:37 PM
A fish trap was the only way I could remove my damsels from my fish tank years ago. Instead of buying an acrylic trap, I simply made one out of 2 clear plastic 2L pop bottles. I cut the tops off on both, and cut the threaded part off to make an opening just big enough for the damsels to swim through. Then I sewed the funnel part to the main cylinder with fishing line so that the small hole was facing the inside of the pop bottle. I made mine with 2 funnels so fish could swim in from both sides, but it would be much easier just to use one pop bottle and have just the one opening. Good luck, catching fish can be a royal PITA.

Treebeard
08-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will build one tonight and give it a try.

EmilyB
08-12-2008, 08:54 PM
In reply to the original question, yes they do work, especially for small wrasses.

Sebae again
08-13-2008, 02:28 AM
I have the one in your link and it has worked well for me. I have a square one as well but the fish won't go in because they see the corners. To be more successfull,don't feed the fish for a couple of days.

Treebeard
08-13-2008, 02:36 PM
I built the pop bottle trap this morning, baited it with some mysis, put it in the tank and went for a shower. Came downstairs 10 minutes later and he was inside looking out. Too easy! Thanks for the advice, and saving me 40 bucks!

Oscar
08-13-2008, 03:25 PM
If partially buried in the sustrate will the pop bottle trick work for capturing crabs?

Stones
08-13-2008, 05:49 PM
If its crabs you want out of your tank, instead of using a pop bottle, just submerge a small drinking glass or a large shot glass into the substrate at an angle. Put some type of heavier bait in like a large piece of shrimp and leave it overnight. Crabs will crawl in to eat the shrimp but not be able to climb up the slick glass walls. If the crabs are small enough, the plastic tubes superglue comes in work pretty good.

Oscar
08-13-2008, 06:14 PM
just submerge a small drinking glass or a large shot glass into the substrate at an angle.
Excellent, now where did I put that shot glass?

rocketlily
08-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Just don't use a shot glass with red screen printing. The salt water reacts with the printing, ruins the shot glass and gives you lots to clean up.