PDA

View Full Version : t5 yes no...

Mik_101
08-11-2008, 05:19 AM
I am currently in a situation were I can not diside to go with T5 for a sps only tank witch is a zeo system tank. I am wondering if going to t5's will put my growth down. I know that they will bring my color up. If anyone has pictures of growth of corals woth t5(sps if possible) and a fts. I realy need opinions. BTW curently i hvave 2x250 but have too replace an ignitor on 1 side of the ballast and 2x39 w t5.
Thanks,
Miki

Stones
08-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I recently saw my first SPS/mixed reef tank lit soley by T5's and I was seriously impressed. The tank was lit by an 8 x 54 watt TEK fixture and all corals had amazing colours. Growth rates in his tank seemed to be on par with my tank however I too am using 2 x 250 watt MH as you are, but the T5 tank had much better colour. After seeing that setup, there is not a doubt in my mind that you can have a beautiful sps reef under pure T5 lighting.

kwirky
08-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Both lighting systems give great growth. If you already have a combo system though I think it'd be cheaper to just replace the one ballast than rather convert the whole system.

14k MH with fiji purple T5 is almost exactly the same as running 50/50 T5 with new generation and fiji purple. Growth is pretty similar I find, between the tank at the store and my tank at home. (T5 tek at the store, 250W DE electronic MH at home). Colour's better at the store but I'm planning an upgrade to a combo T5/MH system anyways.

sphelps
08-11-2008, 05:41 PM
I think it depends a lot on the tank Dimensions, if you can fit a good amount of T5s over the tank then it`s good choice for lighting. I went all T5s but ended up going back to both T5s and MH, It just lit my tank better and liked the look. All T5s actually produced a lot of shadows while using some MH as well eliminated most of them.

ReefJunkie
08-11-2008, 06:48 PM
sorry wrong thread

Mik_101
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Im still considering going with T5 or replacing the ignottor but once the ignitor is replaced im tinking of adding 2 more T5 strips witch will give me more clor and will most likley be rn ran aong with my FPT5. After these bulbs burn out I might consider going from a 10k to a 14k bulb as well.

fencer
08-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Ever consider using VHO"s

sphelps
08-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Im still considering going with T5 or replacing the ignottor but once the ignitor is replaced im tinking of adding 2 more T5 strips witch will give me more clor and will most likley be rn ran aong with my FPT5. After these bulbs burn out I might consider going from a 10k to a 14k bulb as well.

I like that idea. You'll be happy with 2 Phoenix 14K bulbs and 4 T5s, 2 fiji purples and two coral lights. Not quite as efficient as an all T5 setup but I think it will look way better.

People have lately been giving a whole lot of attention to all T5 tanks as they have been seeing some really amazing tanks from Europe and other places which use all T5s. But you need to realize that those tanks would look amazing with other lights as well, I assure you it's not the lights that make those tanks look how they do.

VHOs are very inefficient, I wouldn't waist your time or money on those. They do have probably the best actinic purely because of the large bulb radius but other than that they are basically becoming obsolete.

Doug
08-11-2008, 11:02 PM
If you read my past posts, I would swear the T-5 lighting was as good, although Steve never agreed with me. :lol:. However I only ran 4 over my 90 and would guess I needed 2 more.

My friend runs an 8 bulb over his and I thought that was even better yet. However, after putting a pair of 250w halides on my 90, my sps responded with growth and brilliant colors in comparison. I cant say if another 2 bulbs would have done that or not but I cant see it. I also see clams, etc. from the 8 bulb system, respond positive to my halides.

As I said in my last thread, there is even a large difference between a single halide over my cube and a pair over my 90g. And I mean a very easily detected appearance in the corals.

Plus, I read Steves par reading and wonder about their penetration. Another thing, IMO, for bulbs that are suppose to last for 18 months, mine appeared to decreasing long before that. And "that" is one of the main reasons I wanted to switch.

I look at the pics of T-5 tanks and wonder how they do that,as mine never. I would like it to work and would likely set my 90 up again, if I could get the same results from 6-54w T-5 bulbs.

I have thought of giving a properly set up Jaubert system another run and my 90 would be perfect for that. I wonder if the extra 5 to 6 in. of height would then make a 24in. deep tank more suitable for T-5,s. Looked at some really nice Constallation fixtures this morning. With or without Icecap fans, reflectors, and ballasts.

Anyways, thats my two bits worth Mik. I liked mine but not the results. They were cooler for sure and I notice the 8 bulb fixture is pretty cool also.Both open tops though and fan cooled. I did miss the halide look but liked the overall coverage and never found it to be pastel or anything, as some seem to think. I liked the ability to switch bulbs and change colors.

Some other good threads,

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40940&highlight=t-5%2Cs

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37072&highlight=t-5%2Cs

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37563&highlight=t-5%2Cs

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31583&highlight=t-5%2Cs