PDA

View Full Version : Ant idea what this is??

TJSlayer
08-11-2008, 04:06 AM
Found this the other day in my tank, really small about the size of a pea, but really nice looking.

http://www.denpaul.ca/SALT/IDTHIS.jpg

Hope it's a good surprise.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers
Todd

TJSlayer
08-11-2008, 04:18 AM
Looks like I may have a club tipped anenome.... cool!

http://www.divebums.com/FishID/Pages/club-tipped_anemone.html

sharuq1
08-11-2008, 05:28 AM
Also called a "ball anemone"

Pseudocorynactis

Pseudocorynactis spp. are like Corynactis but are much larger (to about six inches (15 cm) diameter, and usually not colonial. They also reproduce by fission, but it is unusual to find more than about six clones together as a group. The so-called orange ball anemones that can be observed on coral reefs at night are Pseudocorynactis spp. The column varies in color from cryptic shades of brown to orange, red and magenta. The tips of the tentacles are commonly bright orange, but they can also be white. These tentacle tips are extremely sticky, like flypaper, due to the presence of powerful nematocysts. This fact makes the larger species from the Indo Pacific region unsuitable for aquariums housing fishes, which they readily capture. They also can catch mobile invertebrates such as shrimps and snails, and sometimes "attack" sessile invertebrates growing on adjacent rocks, enveloping them in the gastric cavity through a widely opened mouth. Pseudocorynactis spp. can be fed daily, but only require twice weekly feeding to keep them healthy. If they are not fed frequently enough, they shrink. There is a marked behavioral difference between the common Caribbean and Indo-Pacific species.
The Caribbean species, Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum mainly opens its tentacles at night, and closes rapidly when it senses light. The Indo-Pacific species remains open both day and night, and is not sensitive to light. The presence of food smells (dissolved amino acids) in the water stimulates either species to open up and extend the tentacles, and the caribbean species can be trained to open in the light by feeding it during daylight hours. The mechanism for its apparent memory is not known.

We have one too, except ours is totally clear with the exception of the white balls. Some of them have orange balls. It's not caused any trouble (despite the thing saying they pack a good sting, etc.) nor made copies of itself. (In the tank more than a year). Pretty cool, and yours is quite pretty.

TJSlayer
08-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Cool looks like I have a clear one too...
Harder to tell can see it as well, but yeah no harm no foul....

Hopefully they will reproduce a little.

Cheers
Todd

OCDP
08-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah I had a couple of these in my previous tank. They are really tiny, but nice.