PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Skimmate

Oscar
08-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I am generating about one cup of green tea skimmate every 2 days. My bioload is limited to 2 clowns, a light CUC and a light amount of corals.

I would like to thicken up the skimmate so that I lose less salt water and dump the cup less often. What adjustments do you suggest? The skimmer came with the tank and does not have any manufacturers markings. It sort of looks like a EuroReef knock off.

Alternatively can I drain the cup into a larger jug for emptying once a week? Is it as simple as drilling a hole in the cup and adding a section of hose into the jug?
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````
Also I now have quite a buildup of algae inside the main skimmer canister. Will this lead to any performance issues?

michika
08-10-2008, 08:54 PM
For starters clean out the skimmer body, it will improve performance. To get a dryer skimmate you will need to adjust your skimmer's settings. Any photos of your skimmer? You also many not get any thicker because you have such a small bioload.

fkshiu
08-10-2008, 09:13 PM
The skimmate on ER-style skimmers is adjustable by raising or lowering the outflow pipe of the skimmer. Alternatively, more precise adjustments can be made if you do the "gate valve mod" (just google that)

Oscar
08-10-2008, 09:48 PM
For starters clean out the skimmer body, it will improve performance. To get a dryer skimmate you will need to adjust your skimmer's settings. Any photos of your skimmer? You also many not get any thicker because you have such a small bioload.

I will clean the skimmer this evening then post the photos of the skimmer.

Chin_Lee
08-10-2008, 10:40 PM
IMO - one cup of green tea skimmate every two days is perfect. I wouldn't change it.
Secondly drilling a hole in the cup and add in a section of hose into a jug is what most mid-grade to top-grade skimmers do. The trick is to drill carefully as to not crack the cup. There is a moment of exiting with the drill bit out the other side that is stressful on the acrylic unless you exit really slowly.
And also to find the proper fitting to drain is a bit of going to the hardware store and finding what you can get your hands on. If you are decent with tools, get a 1/4" john guest fitting and drill/tap the right size hole into the cup and screw the JG fitting into the cup.