PDA

View Full Version : Rio 20 feedback

Floop70
08-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Is there anyone using a Rio 20 pump who could provide me with some feedback from their experiences? Reviews on the net appear to be fairly good from what I can find. I'm about to buy a used 90 gallon that comes with this pump and would like to know what people think of it.

Here's a link to the Rio 20 HF (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~TA3555~idCategor y~FIWPSBTO~category~Over_1000_GPH-Submersible-Water_Pumps-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~~tab~4.html), although I'm not sure if the HF designates a different pump altogether...

Thanks,
Bruce

midgetwaiter
08-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Is there anyone using a Rio 20 pump who could provide me with some feedback from their experiences? Reviews on the net appear to be fairly good from what I can find. I'm about to buy a used 90 gallon that comes with this pump and would like to know what people think of it.

Here's a link to the Rio 20 HF (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~TA3555~idCategor y~FIWPSBTO~category~Over_1000_GPH-Submersible-Water_Pumps-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~~tab~4.html), although I'm not sure if the HF designates a different pump altogether...

Thanks,
Bruce

It's a good pump for it's price. The only gripe I have is that replacement impellers cost so much that you may as well just buy a new pump.

whatcaneyedo
08-16-2008, 03:46 AM
I once used a CPR Bak Pak skimmer that came with a Rio 600 pump. The impeller shaft for the Rio is metal and rusts! For small pumps I prefer Maxi Jets and Danner Mag Drives.

midgetwaiter
08-16-2008, 03:52 AM
I once used a CPR Bak Pak skimmer that came with a Rio 600 pump. The impeller shaft for the Rio is metal and rusts! For small pumps I prefer Maxi Jets and Danner Mag Drives.

Rio HF pumps have ceramic shafts. Maxijets rust too, double check yours.

whatcaneyedo
08-16-2008, 04:04 AM
I just checked out of curiousity, no rust on the maxi jet shaft after a little more than a year. So far so good. The two Rios I have delt with that had metal shafts must have been quite a few years old. I see on their site that all of them use ceramic shafts now. Problem solved.