PDA

View Full Version : Fiji bans

StirCrazy
02-25-2002, 02:25 AM
"The US has not started the process as of yet. Germany has decided to adopt the recommendation and no longer allows the import of Fiji CITES animals. For the record, when we say "CITES animals", it means live rock and corals. Fish would still be ok to import, but wouldn't be imported due to the high freight rates incurred when shipped a small amount of freight. Rock and coral makes up the vast majority of Fijian exports. It is also important to realize that no country is required to become a member of CITES. For instance, Solomon Islands and the Marshall Islands are not. Fiji was really in no position to join CITES when they did, because they are severely lacking in organization within the government" this post was by Mary on reef.org

now I posted this here because it struck a few questions in my head.

1, as of the 17th of Feb the US has not even started to concider a ban from Fiji and from what is being said on other boards the US is still getting fiji rock.

2, as a country if we ban fiji rock from being brought in because of the CITES saying there paperwork isn't up to what they want, then why are we importing Marshal island rock when they didn't even join?

the 2nd one is almost disturbing in my mind because we are punishing a country that wants to do the right thing but is having a few problems and at the same time rewarding the country who says no to CITES. what does this say to other smaller countries.. well to me it looks like you are better off not getting involved with the organization that wants to ensure you don't destroy your resorses.

just some thought
Steve

[ 24 February 2002: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]</p>

Seaquest
02-25-2002, 02:51 AM
Hi Steve

I think quite a few hobbyist will agree with your reasoning, As a Canadian who has been in this business for some time I can tell that our goverment does very little to make importation easy for any business or any pet supplier. Many American busineses have shied away from Canada do to our love of paper work at the customs level. I think that cite is a great idea it prevents peaple from taking to much at once and enforces control from collectors who would and who do rape reef until every living mother colony is gone and after the coral animals are taken they blast the reef walls for the live rock. I 'm not blameing or pointing a finger but time after time we have seen coral reefs around the world devistated buy this ignorant collecting practice. I can remember when I could order corals easly befor cite was intraduced it was great and god the species we brough in were increadable. Walt Smith has been around for many years and has become one of the weathiest individuals in Fiji, he has put in place some good practices but research has shown he has a lack of respect for international law. hence they shut him dowm. The power of CITE is not one to play with they can turn this hobby of our upside down and they have the scientific data behind them to do it.

StirCrazy
02-25-2002, 03:03 AM
Seaquest
let me first welcome you to the board, I don't have that fancy welcome thing but all the same hehe.

I was just on walt smiths page and he is still in busniess, you can get the fiji special 99.00 for 45lbs right now.
check here (http://www.ffexpress.com/rock.htm)

now the question I have is .. how is this encouraging fiji to speed up the paperwork when probably its largest country of exports is still doing business.
so far the only thing in my view that this so called BAN has done is punnished hobbiests in canada , germany and the other country that adopted the CITIES ban right away. I will admidt it is a small price to pay, and for the most part most of the people here have there rock already but for persons like myself who are just starting up there tanks and looking at large rock purchases I just hope this doesent affect prices of rock here to much.

Steve

Seaquest
02-25-2002, 03:41 AM
Hi Steve

Your right, Walt Smith is still up and running and he's not out of business he's just been slapped on the hand and restricted from shipping to the USA and Canada. This is a big world and Walt sends tons of live rock and corals to the orient and none cite compliant countries. As dealers we will alway be able to obtain rock, Fiji rock in my view isn't the best quality or attractive rock available. there are other rocks available it just that in the past Walts was the easiest and less expensive to obtain. The hobby isn't going anywere, it reprisents billion of dollars worth of business through out the world.

StirCrazy
03-04-2002, 01:42 AM
"The information I received earlier about Canada banning imports from Fiji based on the CITES recommendations is apparently false. I sell to a Canadian distributor who has "not been able" to import Fiji for over a month, and was just told by officials that he is allowed to import from Fiji."

this is from MaryHM on reef.org
it would seam some one jumped the gun.
the thread (http://www.reefs.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=35&t=000067&p=3)

Steve