PDA

View Full Version : fragging oversized yellow fuji leather

reeferious
08-09-2008, 09:23 PM
need advice to safely frag an oversized fuji yellow leather. pls advise

midgetwaiter
08-10-2008, 03:57 AM
You have to be especially careful with this coral as it is very sensitive to handling and the bruises that result can become necrotic quickly.

I wouldn't use scissors, get a really sharp knife. Take it out and put it upside down on a cutting board then trim around the edge with long smooth strokes. You could attach the pieces by either piercing them with a plastic tooth pic and securing that to a rock or letting them sit in a tray of rubble for a few weeks with low flow so they attach themselves.

If you see any black patches on the coral or the frags cut it away ASAP. It doesn't take long for that to spread with this species.

marie
08-10-2008, 04:29 AM
I used a sharp knife on mine. I tipped the coral upside down on a cutting board and trimmed all the way around the outside edge.
It's very important to place in a high flow area afterward to blow the mucous off and to keep the cut edge clean

reeferious
08-10-2008, 11:01 PM
just little bit confused, low or high flow after cutting this 12 inch monster?

marie
08-10-2008, 11:09 PM
The low flow would be for the frags if you are trying to let them attach on their own (you don't want them blowing around the tank).
IMO I think you would have a better success rate If you attached the frags securely to rocks and placed them in higher flow to keep the frags clean
In any case the mother colony should be placed back in a high flow area

reeferious
08-10-2008, 11:18 PM
thanx will heed your advice