PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Wavebox, worth the investment?

Stones
08-08-2008, 03:28 AM
I was just wondering what all the owners of tunze waveboxes think of this product. I've been contemplating one for quite some time but am still not entirely sold due to their cost and the amount of real estate they require in an aquarium. Some of the nicest sps dominated aquariums I've seen have employed waveboxes, but I've also seen quite a few nice sps reefs that use other means of circulation. Just wondering what your experiences have been. I've also heard that these units significantly reduce the lifespan of the aquarium but have never heard of a tank blowing a seam that had a wavebox in it.

fkshiu
08-08-2008, 03:57 AM
I think mine has been worth it, but I picked it up in an equipment trade instead of buying new.

The swaying of the polyps alone justifies the purchase - it's positively hypnotic. The box is easily hidden by my rockwork. People looking at the tank usually don't even notice it unless I point it out to them.

What you've got to remember is that the wavebox is meant as supplemental flow. You still need powerheads/closed-loop. One other positive side effect that you may not know about is that the wavebox does a great job suspending detritus in the water column where it eventually goes down the overflow and into the filtersock. I've noticed that there's a lot less crud build up in and around the live rock and sandbed.

The whole shortening tank life thing is pretty much Tunze covering its butt legally. Roger Vitko has explained that the wavebox will cut a couple of years off a professionally built tank's life. In other words, you'll get around 15-17 years out of a tank rather than 20. Most people move onto another tank or re-silicone long before then. And that's only with the wavebox running 24/7. I only have mine alternating every 15 minutes on and off during daylight hours plus I've got it on a less powerful transformer further lessening any strain on the tank.

christyf5
08-08-2008, 04:09 AM
I was worried about the size as well, and when I first got it I was horrified at how much room it took up in my tank and was thinking I should have gone with a controllable Tunze . However, the benefits of the wavebox far outweigh any "unsightliness" or real estate usage, IMO. I couldn't believe the polyp extension I was getting from my corals in just a few days. Milleporas are incredibly hairy(and they were pretty hairy to begin with) and corals that previously didn't really have polyps out were now true fuzzy sticks. I must say it was definitely one of the best things I've done for my tank and about a week or so after I started using it it started to blend in with the rest of the tank and now I don't even notice it.

Oh and the fish love the flow too :biggrin:

Chaloupa
08-08-2008, 05:03 AM
I have one and I love it.....you don't really notice it after it's been there
for a bit as I have mine right out in the open...definitely worth the money, and I would love to add another to the other side of the tank!

Aquattro
08-08-2008, 05:09 AM
My tanks have done well without one, so until they drop below $300, I can't justify it. Currently I have a Stream 6060 and a powerhead, I get full polyp extension. One of my LFS's has one, and I think it's great, but $600 is too rich for me to make waves.

str255
08-08-2008, 05:28 AM
There is an upcoming tunze nano wavebox as reported on RC.

L 4.9 x W 2.1 x H 8.6 in.
The MSRP on the new Nano Wavebox will be $381.52 (US Pricing).
Availability ... was reported as 12/2008, but maybe sooner

christyf5
08-08-2008, 05:32 AM
You could always build your own (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1411393) :wink:

Aquattro
08-08-2008, 05:48 AM
You could always build your own (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1411393) :wink:

I think I will!! Thx!

christyf5
08-08-2008, 05:50 AM
I think I will!! Thx!

Cool! We'll need pics! :cool:

Stones
08-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I knew that the wavebox was just to supplement existing flow as I already have 2 vortech pumps that serve as the main form of circulation in my tank. However, due to the directionality (more like lack of directionalilty) in which the vortechs must be pointed, I have a few low flow spots in my tank which I'd like to eliminate. By the sounds of it, most people noticed an increase in polyp extension. Has anyone noticed more uniform growth patterns or increased growth rates in sps corals after adding a wavebox?

christyf5
08-08-2008, 06:13 AM
I don't know about uniform growth patterns but I'd definitely say that I have better growth in my tank. I'm not sure if that is entirely the work of the wavebox though but I'd say it probably has something to do with it. I'd definitely say that the wavebox has contributed the success of my tank over the past couple of years :biggrin:

Delphinus
08-08-2008, 06:20 AM
I second the DIY option. The retail cost on these things is beyond absurd, whereas any controllable Tunze or equivalent, some "rudimentary" acrylic skills, and a reasonably elementary electronic/soldering skills, and you're set. Good luck with the build Brad, I second the request for pics when done.

The SPS tanks I've seen with waveboxes have tended to be in the upper echelon category. However it's hard for me to say it's the result of the wavebox, or the result of those reefer's diligence. However it is a really neat aesthetic effect if nothing else. If you can get your hands on one for a price you're willing to pay, I'd say it is "likely worth it."

Having said that, I thought controllable Vortech's were to give the waveboxes a run for their money. Maybe the answer is an additional Vortech?

Canuckgod420
08-08-2008, 01:56 PM
so are you saying that spending $525 on a Tunze Turbelle Stream Pump 6201 is worth it but another 50 bucks more on a wavebox is not?
I have 1 and I will never run another SPS tank without one.

Aquattro
08-08-2008, 02:14 PM
so are you saying that spending $525 on a Tunze Turbelle Stream Pump 6201 is worth it but another 50 bucks more on a wavebox is not?

Not sure anyone said that..